• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can someone explain what the Sam Hill "cleaning the media cache database" does?

Contributor ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac 10.13.6, PPro/ME 2020.

I am often irked by the tedious process of Cleaning the Media Cache database.

Generally, when I begin to have anomalies (playback urps, or most currently, ME running out of memory), the first thing I do is clean the cache.

And wait...and wait...and wait, while the little blue "progress" bar creeps towards its eventual conclusion.

As I type, I'm watching the Cache location as, one by one, massive files (ranging from 176 bytes to 2KB, mind you!) are cherry picked one-by-one and...well, not trashed, cuz they never show up in the trash, they just get tossed.

I haven't cleaned the ME cache in quite some time now, so you power user geneii won't be surprised to know I've been watching this process for almost 30 minutes.

Someone, please, enlighten me as to why I shouldn't just go to the Cache location and delete all these files myself. Because I don't get paid for cleaning the Media Cache.

TOPICS
Performance , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows, but I simply use file manager to go to the cache folders and delete the files when I finish a project

I have 3 drives in my computer (1-M.2 and 2-SSD) so I have enough space that I only delete cache files at the end of a project

I have NO IDEA if there is anything different about a Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my PC the option dumps them in moments. But you can go to Finder and just dump everything manually just fine.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and thank you for confirming.

But, that doesn't explain why Adobe thinks wasting time watching the "progress" bar is worth money...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2021 Apr 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my system just now, using the Preferences option to delete cache files took around 12 seconds.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Any one else wanna chime in here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many customers are uncomfortable deleting files from the Finder/Windows Explorer. It makes support easier. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As someone who's always worked in a small shop, I never have any IT folks around that can handle deleting files. If I didn't constantly delete files, my systems ... with many large drives ... would quickly fill up and choke.

So I've always deleted files by the bucket.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines