• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't apply effects to my timeline

Community Beginner ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a novice Premiere Pro user who usually imports and exports single clips, so today when I am trying to assemble a file from multiple clips, I tried to include transitions.  I tried to drag and drop transitions from the video effects panel onto my timeline, but I get a small icon overlaid by a circle with a diagonal line, indicating that the action can't be done.  I've looked at the Adobe support page and this should be a no-brainer, but I can't figure out this simple thing.  I have tried rendering the file, but this didn't solve the problem.  I am able to apply Lumetri color adjustments to the clips as usual.

What gives?  What simple thing am I missing?

Running OS 10.14.2 on an iMac.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

I think I've found the problem, I had older versions of PP installed.  Now that I've uninstalled those, it appears to be working normally again.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you're trying to apply a transition to 'full length' clips. Transitions normally need "handles" to use for the transition.

That is ... you need a second or two of unused clip before and after the parts you've put in the timeline for fades/cross-dissolves to use. A cross-dissolve needs to start showing media a second or two before it gets to the 'cut' line. If that following clip doesn't have "extra" frames for that second or two, there's nothing to show in the dissolve. Same with the clip that's leading ... it has to have frames after the 'cut' line between it and the next frame to use for the dissolve-out process.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a screen grab of my timeline.  The total duration is 2 minutes 58 seconds. No single clip is shorter than 20 seconds.  Would this be a problems?

Timeline.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which transitions? You do seem to have handles there ... my first (deleted!) response made before engaging brain had it backwards. Little triangles in the corner indicate end-of-clip, and you don't have any, so there should be handles for applying transitions.

I'm wondering if perchance you have the sequence locked ... is the little padlock icon to the far left of the Sequence header block gray and open ... or closed and blue?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, nothing is locked.  These are imported from my iPhone, as I wanted to take advantage of its super-slow motion capabilities; most often i import from my DSLR or my drone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try resetting the preferences:

FAQ: How to reset preferences in Premiere Pro?

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:

Reset a workspace

Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.

1. Do one of the following:
    • Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
    • Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.

from here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just imported a clip from my DSLR to the same timeline, and now little triangles can be seen at the beginning and end of the clip.  However, I am still confronted with a circle with a slash through it when try to drag and drop a transition from the list onto that clip.  Something is wrong here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try sliding the ends of both clips back a bit and then re-butting them, see if that helps. My very first post (and quickly deleted!) was typed before the brain engaged. The triangles tell you you have no handles, no triangles means you do.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suddenly have this same problem.  It was working fine but now I can't drag an effect onto a clip.  I've tried doing it in my older projects & the same thing is happening in them.   I've tried resetting my preferences but it did no good.  Now I've lost all my customized prefs so I'm even worse off.  Any ideas anyone?  I've in the middle of an important project I need to finish soon!

Any help would be most appreciated

Cheers

Mick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing of course is to make sure the tracks aren't locked by the little lock-icons on the header block.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil but no tracks are locked.  This is occurring globally, by which I mean it's happening in all of my projects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to drag the transition all the way to the cut and effects to the clip.

Anywhere else in the timeline it will give you the no-go hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm doing that Ann, I've been using PP for months.  The the grab fist has a no entry sign on it as soon as I try to drag an effect.  When I drag it to a clip on the timeline the effect disappears from my cursor altogether.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I've found the problem, I had older versions of PP installed.  Now that I've uninstalled those, it appears to be working normally again.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the same problem...this comment helped!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines