• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't drag and drop anything anywhere into Premiere Pro

Participant ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several months of issues with any version of PP above 14.5 (and Adobe "support" staff being completely useless, just wasting my time performing the same tricks over and over again, maybe hoping for a different outcome, or maybe just not caring at all), the latest one is finally working on my PC. Working as in not crashing immediately at start-up. But now I can't drag and drop anything into it: not a video, audio or image, not into the timeline, bin, or anywhere. I just get the crossed circle every time and everywhere. Tried resetting (holding ALT when launching PP) - didn't help. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Importing every file the long way is way too cumbersome.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Hey there, I solved the problem 🙂 DO NOT run Premiere as administrator, instantly worked for me again 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reset preferences and plugins by holding SHIFT+ALT at start up, not just ALT. Give that a try. Also, if you getting the crossed circle, is there another dialogue window up somewhere? Try resetting your workspace once you get into Premiere and open a project, then try to drag in an import again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sergiu,

Sorry about that. If you show us a screenshot, we can help more easily. I suspect your tracks are not patched properly. This post should explain how to set up source patching. Let me know if it works or not.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff Bugbee Thanks for the suggestions, tried them all (as reluctant as I was to reset my settings again), but to no avail. And no, there is no dialog window open, I just open PP with a blank project and try to drag an drop a file into it.

@Kevin-Monahan I wish you read my post completely instead of rushing to post something no matter how (ir)relevant. What coud the source patching have to do with the inability to drag and drop a file in the bin? I know many people post their question without putting any kind of effort into finding a solution themseves, even by just googling it, but please don't just assume everyone is like this and copy-paste a standard answer everywhere.

Anyway, attached is a screenshot, maybe it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset your workspace? Or change to a different workspace layout? You've resized your bin to the lower left, I'd like you to swap to a "default" workspace and see if you can import then.

Another thing to check (as I see you are on Windows): do you have Display Scaling turned on in your Windows settings? I've seen this setting (when set to anything but 100%) affect odd things like what you are experiencing. Try confirming that setting is 100%, then try your drag and drop import again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reset the worspace (after I saved a copy under a different name), and have also tried other workspaces. No changes.

And I don't have display scaling turned on, meaning it's at 100%.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you by any chance using dual monitors? As a test, can you close Premiere, unplug your 2nd monitor, then relaunch Premiere and see if drag/drop works?

To be clear, I'm walking you through troubleshooting steps so we can verify the source of the issue, I am not saying this is what you need to do forever.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, single monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Sergiu_M-D,

This message surfaced recently, so it appears it may still be a problem. I read your message from a couple of years ago and I'm sorry I did not read your message more carefully at the time. I missed that part about not being able to drag into bins and answered hastily. I'll be more careful next time.

Usually, source patching is the main problem people have when they can't drag things into the timeline but this problem is different, as you pointed out. I don't have this problem, but I will keep an eye out for it, and will let the team know about it, as well.

Thanks,

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im actually having this problem right now, and it won't let me drag and drop anything on the time line. Its also not letting me drag anything in the time line. Kind of frustrated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2023 Jun 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to check ... the tracks aren't locked? And tracks are showing the blue selected blocks on the left of the track header controls?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing ... although I know a lot of people do it, I really never simply drag/drop from Finder/Explorer to import media. I either use the Media Browser or the Project panel import options.

In Media Browser, I do have 'favorites' set for my main drive/folder locations so getting to stuff is fast and direct.

I often import entire subfolder systems, either through the Media Browser or Project panel, right-click, Import.

Neither takes any more time nor clicks than going out of PrPro to open a Finder/Explorer window and navigating to the folder/media. And from long experience, using Premiere's import/ingestion process does a better job of getting the file metadata from media into PrPro's databases cleanly.

As to getting things from the Project panel ... if that's not working, then Kevin's right, you need to check your Source/Target patching on the sequence.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your habits regaring importing files into PP. I'm sure you understand that other people might have other habits; whether they suit them better than yours or not is another question, not always open for discussion.

Still, I have a basic feature of Premiere Pro not working on my PC and I'm trying to find a solution to it. I might have done the same even if it was a feature I rarely use and could get around (who knows, maybe it will be crucial to me one day and I will regret not having fixed it before).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But does it work to import the ways Premiere Pro was designed to best work? If so, that's simply part of the troubleshooting process. Useful data.

If not, that is also part of the troubleshooting process. And is also useful data.

At this point, we're troubleshooting. That's all I'm considering.

I'm never interested at first on something like, in this discussing what each of us might prefer. I'm just trying to find out how to get someone working. Period.

After they're working, yea then, talking about how we'd all like to do something is fine.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem, did you find a solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, I solved the problem 🙂 DO NOT run Premiere as administrator, instantly worked for me again 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that worked! I forgot the Adobe "support" staff changed the compatibility settings on the app to try to make it work, and of course never bothered to revert the changes.

Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome :)) I'm glad it helped!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 31, 2023 May 31, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am just wondering how can I go about not running Premier Pro as Adminstrator? (I have Windows 11).

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2022 Jan 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was it for me.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 24, 2023 Feb 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

God, what is adobe's malfunction?  How the hell does this company manage to screw up something when running as admin?  It shouldn't be an issue.  And I'm paying HOW MUCH for this?  Well, my school is.  I'd never pay the obscene prices for this software, and this is just another reason why.  Adobe needs to start fixing these bugs and improving compatibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS!!  ❤

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2024 Jan 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One day they will be the recipient of the brand of SUFFERING they see so fit to deliver...ONE...SWEET...DAY.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Guys,

Im new to editing and this community so please excuse if I havent gone through the correct protocols in posting this question.

I am currently taking an online course to learn Premiere Pro and we are now been shown how to use "Assembly View" for better organisation. I am using a PC.

For some reason it wont allow my to drag and drop complete/whole folders in this view. I can go within each folder select all and then drop but I can't do the whole folder as the instructor is currently showing.

Can anyone please advise?   (I see a circle with red line down the middle when trying to do this)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 28, 2022 Sep 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are in the Assembly WORKSPACE, you probably have 3 main PANELS - Project Panel, Timeline Panel, and Program Monitor. Are you dragging from Windows Explorer to PR?

> drag and drop complete/whole folders in this view. 

You can drag files from Windows Explorer to the Project Panel or Timeline. You can drag a folder only to the Project Panel.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines