• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't drag video into timeline premiere cc

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working with PP CC since it came out and have had almost no problems. Now I have a head scratcher. I can't drag a video clip from the project panel to the sequence. The audio comes but the video won't. All I get is the close hand with a line through it when I hover over any of the video tracks. The clips play fine in the source monitor but still cant drag it from source to sequence either. Tried this with clips from several projects and cameras but no go. Started a new project, different name, folder and footage, still have the problem.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 4.36.25 PM (2).png

[Text formatting corrected.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , FAQ , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Hi,
You're here because you can't drag either audio or video to the Timeline. Sorry for the frustration!

SOLUTION: Make sure Source Patching is set up correctly in the Timeline. The video below explains it visually.

Video tutorial

HOW TO:

1. SELECT: Select the Clip in the Project panel. Blue Boxes should "light up" in the far left of the timeline. If they don't, go to Step 2.
  2. PATCH: Click the V1 & A1 "blue boxes" to enable them in the far left of the Timeline. (see the image). 
  3. EDIT: Drag the clip

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You just saved me from losing my mind, thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2021 Dec 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't work for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots help. Can you provide one, De?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nor I. Losing my mind as I am unable to get any work done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 01, 2023 Aug 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome to the life of an Adobe artist...

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 02, 2023 Aug 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start with the obvious:

Reset preferences - Premiere Help

FAQ: How to clean media cache files |Adobe Community

Post a screenhot of the entire UI on what you are trying to drag to the timelline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2022 Jan 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kevin, 

I have the same issue, but unfortunately, your solution won't help me. It is as if my video doesn't want to be inserted... 

I have added a screenshot for clearification! Thank you very much. 

Kira 2022-01-22.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually found my error! But thanks anyway!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AnnBens_0-1642865408479.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2022 Jan 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your screenshot helped so much, FensKi! I can see now that you did not have V1 Source Patching enabled, so editing the video into the track is not possible until you enable it. How frustrating. So glad you found the button and clicked it. Good for you!

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 07, 2024 Mar 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do think that drag and drop should work without correct source patching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2016 May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that second thing was really helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an intro titled video.mkv and adobe won't let me insert it. It says video format not supported

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, you'll need to transcode that file, LGWTYT. Please make a feature request: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Handbrake to convert.

Dont think you will see mkv supported again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi YT,

Sorry. .mkv is not supported. Transcode it in Shutter Encoder or Handbrake to an editing codec or .mp4. It will work then.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2020 Jun 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I see that this is a top doc that is found by internet search. If you found this post via search like from Google, what is the situation that got you into this problem? Did you use unsupported media, say, from a screen capture of your game play? Or was this just an oversight? I'm trying to figure out if this is media related, customer education, or a bug in Premiere Pro. Let me know your situation so we can improve this situation. Thanks for any feedback!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 04, 2020 Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all of the above and still have a problem except stranger yet. I can import one .mp4 file and move it to the timeline. When I try the second one it will only drag the audio portion of the file, video does appear in preview window. This is from my AKASO V50 camera, it works fine from my Sony camcorder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the classic mistake here, did not have timeline track highlight on first.  Seems like many other people have done that.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

It tends to happen with some the video you get from mobile devices or certain other video files. You have to click the V1 button manually. Glad you figured it out.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Man thanks a mil. That blue check on the timeline was driving me insane for weeks. I found myself copying the 1st video and then replacing it from the bin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2020 Sep 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Your comment has helped me so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are having trouble with this issue and are patched. Make sure to use a dedicated workspace. If you have undocked panels in 14.5, you may be experiencing a bug. Let me know if you have trouble with that.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This simple fix helped so much that I went through the trouble of signing in to say THANK YOU!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2020 Nov 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem, but my "V1" is completely disappeared! I can't drag videos or audios, I can only cut or erase them if I select the action in a menu. "A1" is selected buut I can't edit them with mouse. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines