• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

can't drag video into timeline premiere cc

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014 Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working with PP CC since it came out and have had almost no problems. Now I have a head scratcher. I can't drag a video clip from the project panel to the sequence. The audio comes but the video won't. All I get is the close hand with a line through it when I hover over any of the video tracks. The clips play fine in the source monitor but still cant drag it from source to sequence either. Tried this with clips from several projects and cameras but no go. Started a new project, different name, folder and footage, still have the problem.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 4.36.25 PM (2).png

[Text formatting corrected.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , FAQ , How to , Import , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2016 Mar 29, 2016

Hi,
You're here because you can't drag either audio or video to the Timeline. Sorry for the frustration!

SOLUTION: Make sure Source Patching is set up correctly in the Timeline. The video below explains it visually.

Video tutorial

HOW TO:

1. SELECT: Select the Clip in the Project panel. Blue Boxes should "light up" in the far left of the timeline. If they don't, go to Step 2.
  2. PATCH: Click the V1 & A1 "blue boxes" to enable them in the far left of the Timeline. (see the image). 
  3. EDIT: Drag the clip

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Default,

Try dragging the clip into the Source Monitor first, then see if you get the V1 patch. Hope that works.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can create a new sequence from a clip, then cut/paste it into my primary sequence, but I can't drag it directly into the primary sequence.  Seems like there's no issue with my footage since Premiere can create a sequence from it without issue.  Having to do the extra step is a real pain, especially when I have 40 clips to add to my primary sequence...

Anyone have any ideas why I can't just drag it in in the first place?  It doesn't matter if I have V1 or whatever highlighted or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots help. Otherwise, we can't see what you're seeing Prof. Q. Can you help us out, please?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2020 Nov 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok yes it worked but I mean WHYYYYY must it be like this (I am such a newb to PP). That simple <<source patchers>> click has caused me so much undue stress before finding this forum. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the issue in action.  I can't drag the clip in, but I can create a new sequence from clip, then cut and paste it into the primary sequence.  What gives?  Why can't I just drag it in to begin with?

[video]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reed Kevins reply.

Source patching is the name of your issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did read Kevi's reply, and my V2 and all the A tracks are 'lit up' and showing blue.  From what I understand of his post, that should mean that I can drag the clip into the timeline from the Source window.  Unless I misunderstood what he wrote, that is not working for me.   He also says "patching should be automatic" when you double click a clip to add it to the Source monitor, which is what I've always found to be the case, but not now...

You can see in the video clip I posted that I do in fact have a video and audio track 'lit up' in blue, and I am in fact trying to drag a clip from the source monitor, but only the audio seems to be droppable.  Did I misunderstand Kevin's post?  Looks like I'm doing exactly what he describes, and yet I have to resort to creating a new sequence from the clip and the cutting/pasting it back in to the first sequence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you are not doing what Kevin wrote.

Source patcher is not set. Those are the two boxes on the far left: needs to be blue like in Kevins screenshot (the one with the red bounding box).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2021 Jan 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million for this simple, but great tip. You just made my life easier ... Last three months waisted too much time by creating a new sequences from clips, cut+paste in the main sequence. UGH!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So glad you found this solution, Salahuddin! Have fun editing.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 13, 2021 Mar 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So beyond aggrivated about the MOST basic function that one would need a video editor to do which is getting a video track into a timeline. Its  not working and support leaves it up to us to try and figure it out on a forum like this. I have spent HOURS looking for a solution. The simple fix everyone is talking about with the V1, V2 buttons does not do anything at all. Still cant drag anything. I have uninstalled premiere pro, updated to the newest verion etc nothing works Premiere pro is useless at this point. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If source patching is not the fix. Make a new thread with your issue, computer specs and screenshots of UI and media used in Mediainfo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 02, 2021 Sep 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That helps, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help I cannot drag my video over to the sequence timeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshots can help us with that, Randy. Can you provide any?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but i need help, I have done everything you guys have said with the V1 and A1 selected. 
but when i try to drag and drop a section of the source clip into the main time line, the little hand icon closes ( as if to grab

  

Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 21.18.32.png

Screenshot 2022-05-01 at 21.17.27.png

the clip) but then when i move it down to add it to the time line, but simple moves the slider bar on the sourse clip. 

Any help?

Thank you in advance 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sophie,

Sorry. It looks as if you are set up OK. Not sure why you are having trouble. You can always try the Overwrite button. Does that work? Let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 24, 2023 Jul 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, just editing a rough cut that I started last week.  No problems last week, now I can only drag audio in.  See screenshot, the last clip is when I try and drag in video.

Have tried dragging video, adjustment layers and more to the timeline, audio is fine but video is a no go.  Gonna restart and if that doesn't work rebuild the timeline...  other timelines in the same project seem to be fine?

aTomician_0-1690208122332.png

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Restarted, no go, as a thought, I duplicated the timeline, still no go.  I then CTRL+A selected everything and deleted it...  and all of a sudden I can drag videos in just like normal!

So I undo'd the delete, and deleted the clips one by one to see if they were causing a problem.  I deleted them all out one by one and the issue persisted where I can't drag videos onto the timeline...   CTRL+A and DELETE again, and the timeline works just like it should...

so so weird.

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I Use another workaround: Select the target track before dragging your clip there. It usually works.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't work for me - see below.  I get the forbidden sign with the hand even with the track selected.  Still got the original nonworking timeline so happy to try any other ideas people get!

aTomician_1-1690210077109.png

Regards, aTomician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines