Highlighted

can't drag video into timeline premiere cc

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working with PP CC since it came out and have had almost no problems. Now I have a head scratcher. I can't drag a video clip from the project panel to the sequence. The audio comes but the video won't. All I get is the close hand with a line through it when I hover over any of the video tracks. The clips play fine in the source monitor but still cant drag it from source to sequence either. Tried this with clips from several projects and cameras but no go. Started a new project, different name, folder and footage, still have the problem.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 4.36.25 PM (2).png

[Text formatting corrected.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

Hi,

See the FAQ: FAQ: Why does audio or video not go to the track where I drop it?
See Adobe Help Documentation here: Using source patchers and source track indicators

ISSUE: Can't drag either audio or video to the Timeline.
SOLUTION: Dragging a clip to the timeline is not a 2 step process. It is a 3 step process.

HOW TO:

1. SELECT: Select the Clip. Blue Boxes should "light up" in the timeline.
  2. PATCH: Click either V1 & A1 "blue boxes" to enable both of them on the left of the Timeline (see image).
  3. EDIT: Drag clip to the Timeline (or use a keyboard shortcut for an Insert or Overwrite edit).

Source Patcher for V1 & A1 must be enabledSource Patcher for V1 & A1 must be enabled

Note: Step 2, PATCH, is where most errors are made. 

• If one Source Patcher or the other is not enabled, your edit will only include audio, video.
  • If no Source Patchers are selected, no clip can be edited to the timeline.
  • Source Patching should be automatic:
    • Once a clip is selected. 
    • Once a clip is double-clicked and loaded into the Source Monitor.
    • Source Patchers might not appear in either case, so you have to enable them if they do not.
  • If you cannot use the Source Patcher for V1 or A1 after selecting a clip, it might not be a supported format.
    • You may need to transcode the file in Handbrake.

This is a very common misunderstanding for drag 'n drop editors.
Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

can't drag video into timeline premiere cc

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been working with PP CC since it came out and have had almost no problems. Now I have a head scratcher. I can't drag a video clip from the project panel to the sequence. The audio comes but the video won't. All I get is the close hand with a line through it when I hover over any of the video tracks. The clips play fine in the source monitor but still cant drag it from source to sequence either. Tried this with clips from several projects and cameras but no go. Started a new project, different name, folder and footage, still have the problem.

Screen Shot 2014-03-06 at 4.36.25 PM (2).png

[Text formatting corrected.]

Message was edited by: Jim Simon

Hi,

See Adobe Help Documentation here: Using source patchers and source track indicators

SOLUTION: Dragging a clip to the timeline is not a 2 step process. It is a 3 step process.

HOW TO:

2. PATCH: Click either V1 & A1 "blue boxes" to enable both of them on the left of the Timeline (see image).
  3. EDIT: Drag clip to the Timeline (or use a keyboard shortcut for an Insert or Overwrite edit).

Source Patcher for V1 & A1 must be enabledSource Patcher for V1 & A1 must be enabled

• If one Source Patcher or the other is not enabled, your edit will only include audio, video.
    • Source Patchers might not appear in either case, so you have to enable them if they do not.
  • If you cannot use the Source Patcher for V1 or A1 after selecting a clip, it might not be a supported format.

Thanks,
Kevin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you highlight V1 the one on the left side of the track header.

Check the help on source patching and track targeting.

26 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm thanks! Not sure how they became unselected but it works now!

3 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Eddie,

It is the editor's responsibility to make sure tracks are patched correctly with every edit. That said, it should be more persistent. I think the "automatic" source patching may be the thing that needs fixing. Thanks for bringing this up. Please create a bug report here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann, thank you very much for a solution to a silly but head scratching problem. Thank you Eddiemg21 for asking. I, too, didn't realize the "V1" had become un-highlighted.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I was having the same issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're awesome, worked great!  Life saver!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! Now I don't have to pull out any more chunks of my hair.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thaaaaaaankssss it worked also like charm i cant describe my happiness

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked many years with PP without problems. I'm in the same situation as @SweetPeaO'Toole. It can't be right at nobody can't find  solution for that.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe this will explain it a bit better.

target and source patching blue.png

27 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ann Bens explained it perfectly! You can't forget there are two boxes to highlight in the V1 track. Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks,

After doing the latest updates with CC 2015 this became an issue. Have been working with PP since 2004 and never had this issue. Dont know why its started after the update.

Thanks for the fix

Clover

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 30, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worked like a charm_thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ann, big help!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I've been tearing my hair out

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Ann!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That did the trick! Thanks Ann.

Why we need two boxes to highlight?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for this response. It's the second time this has happened. I have no idea why the v1 box on the left deselects by itself. I know I didn't deselect it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because an editor might want to place B-roll on V2 or Voice over on A4.

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same problem and had to built my entire project from scratch, which fixed the problem. Now my older QT movies won't be recognized as media without running them through the media encoder with a different QT codec.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point. Sometimes you can't click "V1," and that's probably going to indicate a problem with your source footage. Usually transcoding the clip in something like Handbrake (as Media Encoder will also probably have the same issue as Premiere, no working importer) can work to get the project finished.

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey i am trying to import my 6 gig footage file into premiere and it froze and replied its not respnding multiple times and now it worked but it only shows the media pending and i cant use it plz i need helpScreenshot (14).png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ok well now this worked but now when i move my play marker it takes a while to travel there or indicate i moved it and i cant press play and also now pp is crashing more often when will the full release of pp 2020 come out cause theres a lot of problems it seems

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

HOW TO:

Thanks,
Kevin

6 Likes

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!! Solved immediately

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you that second thing was really helpful.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines