Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't Edit Open Caption in Premier Pro

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I am having this issue with Open Caption that I can see them been edited in the thumbnail of the Open Captions Window but they just will not edit in the main Sequence output.

Please Help

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More information needed for someone to help... please click below and provide the requested information

-Troubleshooting https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2261475

-Premiere Pro Video Editing Information FAQ http://forums.adobe.com/message/4200840

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, will upload a video of the problem tomorrow so its easier to grasp.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a video of the issue I am having, hope it makes it clear what the problem is.

Open Captions Will not Edit - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, normally that should work.

Your caption stream is 720x480. What is your sequence setting; they should match.

As a test, place the play head over one caption; select it. Change that caption's font size.

Your x% value shows "mult" which means that there is a problem there, or when you are changing the location, not all captions are selected.

I don't recall whether I could tell: how did you select all?

Edit: I'm not convinced yet that this is the problem, but here is the link I promised. Generally, when this is the problem, it can't be replicated so easily.

Re: Can't edit caption style

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went back and re did the video with a new project i called test. I imported the open captions and dragged and dropped them where the sequense goes so it should have the same settings, than I placed the play head over one caption; selected it changed the caption's font size and nothing. I attached a video below

Thanks for the replays man, really appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I still think they should work as you are doing, but you are importing 4 different caption formats at once. I want to be sure that PR is interpreting your caption stream correctly and that the caption stream matches the sequence it is in.

But this works for me: import ONLY the .srt file. Double click it so it opens in the source monitor. If not on a caption, move the current time indicator so a caption shows in the source monitor. Open the caption panel. Select the caption you see in the source monitor. Change the font size; I see a change.

If you do not, right click in the project panel and New Item -> Captions and make it Open Captions and whatever timebase and pixel size you are working with. Leave the default text - "Type Caption Text Here." Double click that stream in the project panel so it opens in the Source Monitor. Select that text in the Caption Panel if it is not already. Change the font size. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the help, I got the captions to work importing them the way you told me.

Now the next problem is that they won't render! I am pretty sure I am setting up the right render setting, will upload a vid soon.

Thank you so much for the help btw, i wonder why this crap is so buggy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reporting. By render, do you mean exporting as burned in? If so, as a test, export from PR, not AME. Does that work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i figured out how to Render through AME. I just had to make sure I...

1. The frame rate of my composition is 24 and matches the frame rate the captions are burned as in the captions settings tab in AME.

2. There is no linked work from After Effects sitting in the timeline

I did that and somehow some way it worked and have rendered 3 videos already!

Thanks for the help Stan Jones, you have basically walked my through this crap.

Thank You!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forget about the AE link problem. You nailed it.

I'm not sure this is the same bug, and they may have addressed parts of it. But an AE link is affecting you!

Upvote the bug here:

Adobe Media Encoder bug - Media Offline for captions w/ After Effects – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jun 17, 2020 Jun 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Floating this issue back to the top...

Run into same issue. I have my .srt file in my sequence. Says it's open captions. I see the type style edits in the preview window of caption window, but does not change on my timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens for no reason I can find. Several threads, one with a list of workarounds to try. Can't find the link until tomorrow. One is to save project, close, and reopen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the help, already tried closing the project and re opening it, also downgraded to an older version and tried and nothing. Will be looking out to see if you post the link to the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a simular problem, I'm a newbe. I was able to put several open caption items on the timeline, then I got a redline on top, looked it up and it said to render, so I did, now I cannot edit the captions nor add any new one's?  Help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 13, 2020 Jul 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recently went through this kludgy behavior, think I responded in another thread here on the forum...

Try giving your Premiere program and/or machine an enema - Restart. When I quit out of Premiere and opened file again the captions magically were editable. Make sure it's an .srt file for your captions.

Also helps to post screengrabs of your issue for other experts here far beyond my skills who can respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines