Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't get dark grey

Community Beginner ,
Dec 07, 2020 Dec 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings all

I'm trying to block out something on a dark grey background. I make a solid and colour pick the grey in the background (it's 11,11,11 RGB from an imported PNG), but as soon as I put this "dark grey" solid on top of the image it's pure black that stands out. I tried making blocks in Photoshop and overlaid those images ... same thing. I find it odd that it's messing up everything but the first PNG image I imported. <sigh> Any suggestions as to why it's correcting solids and any other imported PNG's?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

blocks.png

Heres a screen shot of the frame with the three blocks in the middle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your posted image is not pure black it has the 3 blocks.

But you can hardly see them as the difference between 0.0.0 and 11.11.11 is realy very small.

Might see them better is you use a calibrated monitor and made every surrounding the image darker, less contast.

If I look at your image on this forum with the white background it is hard to see the blocks.

If I isoloate the image and put it on a dark background they are much easier to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that's exactly my problem. This video will be on a huge screen at an event, which is why I just explained how the three black blocks should be dark grey. I used a solid and set the colour with the colour picker, it picks up the 11,11,11 grey but when it's dropped into the time line to cover the three items on screen the solid goes black. I did a hack and tweaked the curves to get it closer, but it's still not a 100% match. So ... why does Premiere Pro change the grey to black?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry cannot reproduce.

I can make either way black on gray or gray black.

Your image shows black blocks on a gray background.

Try using the EGP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The more I test this the more it breaks. So I liked the idea of EGP, so I tried it. I made a solid image of that background image (I uploaded it here if you wanted to follow me, https://file.io/0koOgBqoDNHH) then I put it in a new time line, then I added a colour matt (the 11,11,11 setting). Finally I added a EGP block on top of that. The result is amusing ....

blocks 2.png

Now the imported PNG image has gone black, the colour matt is grey as wanted and the EGP block (also set to 11,11,11) is also black. I keep reading how strict Adobe is with colour management so it makes me wonder why it's being so odd in this case. <Sigh> I'm sure its some random reason or setting that I just don't know about, some form of colour management on certain items.

Thanks for trying never the less, if you want to poke at it some more feel free, it does annoy me when I don't know the answer but as you know, production can't stop for one bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines