Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't import .dv files captured in iMovie back in 2010

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Brain Trust...

I have several terabytes of footage I captured from old home movies in iMovie back in 2010 via a Canopus Firewire DV device. The files play fine in VLC, but they are greyed out when trying to import them into PP.  There are a couple of posts (years old) on here about problems capturing DV, but nothing about importing existing .dv files. I've attached the details screen shot from VLC. Do I need to install a plugin or codec? Thanks!

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a workaround. I can open the .dv files in Quicktime Player, and Save (not Export) them. It saves as a .mov file without transcoding, as the files are roughly the same size, and it writes at disk speed with negligible CPU usage. These .mov files import into PP with no issues. Interestingly, it's still a DV codec (but dvc instead of dv), so I guess it's just the wrapper PP didin't like. Now I have hundreds of files to open and save. Perhaps it's time to delve into AppleScript to automate the process...

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 10.09.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Bridge can batch change file exensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried just changing the extension, but that didn't work. Good thought though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@CanadianBurger wrote:

Now I have hundreds of files to open and save. Perhaps it's time to delve into AppleScript to automate the process...

Another idea — see if Adobe Media Encoder can transcode them with the same result. Because if it can, a batch conversion would be easy, you would just dump them all in Media Encoder (like by dragging and dropping them into the render list), apply the same preset to all of them, and click one button to run the whole batch.

HandBrake (free) is also good at batch transcodes, no programming required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried Media Encoder. It wouldn't open them either. I thought about Handbrake, but I didn't want any transcoding to happen at this stage. I'd rather get the original files into Premier for editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines