Highlighted

Can't sync audio

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping someone can help. I have multiple video files all with the same audio. sung by different people - vocals with no backing track and with claps at the start.  

When I try and synchronise them, I get a message saying that they couldn't be synchronised as 'a match could not be found'.  I have tried selecting different track channels, including Mixdown (although in my testing I also noticed that sometimes there is only one track option to choose from). 

I have tried making sure that the clips all have the same frame rate but that makes no difference. 

Does anyone know what I might be missing? 

I'm using Premiere Pro 14.3.2 on an iMac.

Topics

Editing, Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't sync audio

New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am hoping someone can help. I have multiple video files all with the same audio. sung by different people - vocals with no backing track and with claps at the start.  

When I try and synchronise them, I get a message saying that they couldn't be synchronised as 'a match could not be found'.  I have tried selecting different track channels, including Mixdown (although in my testing I also noticed that sometimes there is only one track option to choose from). 

I have tried making sure that the clips all have the same frame rate but that makes no difference. 

Does anyone know what I might be missing? 

I'm using Premiere Pro 14.3.2 on an iMac.

Topics

Editing, Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere uses the waveforms to synch tracks (unless the files start or timecode are setup properly).  When different people are singing, the waveforms will not match.  Were they singing to a prerecorded track or a click track?  If not, you've dug yourself a very deep hole.  you might be able to change the playback rate without changing the pitch but you'll have to adjust the playback rate constantly to maintain synch... but it's gonna be a very big job unless I'm missing something here. You say that all the video "has the same audio". Not sure I understand...

Do you want the audio track to combine all the people singing?  very difficult.  If you're going to be cutting full frame between people singing with both audio and video, might be possible, but will they be singing in the same key?  Unlikely.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - thank you.  Yes the tracks were sung by different people but all to the same backing track.

I thought there would be enough similar points to sync them, especially with the clap at the start.  Looks like I'll be moving across to Resolve as it was able to sync them in moments. I was just trying to do it in Premiere as I'm familiar with it.  Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
jampff LATEST
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true, I discovered in the beginning myself that two performances of the same song do not constitute "same audio". It has to be two simultaneous recordings of the same event pretty much. They must be EXACTLY the same. If one singer held a note out a tad longer than the other in a certain spot, then... the waveforms won't match.

If you go to UserVoice and suggest that the Audio match feature (which I use and love) gets some kind of tolerance slider... strict to lax... to help match things like you're saying... link to it here and I would love to upvote it!

Here's an idea though: it might work, since you have those claps:

1. Stack all the videos of singers on top of each other on their own tracks.

2. Trim each video back until only the clap waveforms are showing (in other words, each clip in the timeline is only a second or few long... I suppose you could also do steps 1 and 2 by just putting In and Out around the claps in the source monitor, and dragging those to the timeline).

3. Select all the trimmed clips and choose Synchronize... since only the clap is showing, it *MIGHT* successfully synchronize based on just that. (Big "if"? but worth a try.)

4. After the clips have synchronized, hopefully, you should see them all shifted slightly right or left, etc... lined up precisely by the clap. THEN... untrim each clip out to its full length, leaving it horizontally on the track exactly where it is.

What you should have, in my perfect world, are all the singers synchronized perfectly. I haven't actually tried that... so no guaratees that it would work. It's just my hairbrained idea right now.

Whenever I talk to a seasoned pro about synchronization, they usually dismiss any automated method and say, "I just line it all up in the timeline manually... it only takes a second." And they're right, especially if there's a clap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines