• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you use iphone footage for broadcast media?

Participant ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Now for starters I am completely aware that this is not best practise and if i had my way i would buy a camera capable of filming 240fps. But unfortunately I can't, so here is my question...

I need to film some slow motion footage going at 240fps (120fps on my canon Mark 4 isn't capturing the moment). I have been looking at what camera I could purcahse to fulfill this need but I'm not sold on a Go Pro, and i dont have 2k or more to spend on a camera whose only function in my workflow is to film slow mo. Not to mention I'd also need to buy a metabones adaptor for the new camera to fit my canon lenses if i was to buy anything BUT canon...which i mostly certainly would need to. 

So does an Iphone XS max (or newer) record its 1080p 240fps, with enough quality for broadcast television? The specs output for broadcast are Pro Res HQ 1024x576, square pixel, Upper Field first. 

And/or is there something i should look into in prod/post that would "somewhat" help the quality of the video? I know it can't lift the quailty really as its all dependent on hardware but thought id pose the question. 

Many thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , Formats , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

in a way it's a useless question.  material shot on vhs has been broadcast many times, albeit's been converted to broadcast specs which are purely technical not about the visual quality.   The first question to ask is what are the delivery specifications.  Although iphones shoot 1080 (or even higher), the footage may not meet the technical specs...  in particular, smartphones generally shoot variable frame rate which will NOT meet broadcast specs.  You can use handbrake to convert to a constant frame rate

https://handbrake.fr 

Beyond that Premiere does allow you to keep your video within "broadcast safe" but that's a complicated question...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines