• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can you use the new "search and replace" caption function to change the font of a letter?

Participant ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to do what the title says. 

I've added subtitles to the video but I the font used doesn't contain a special character for the language that i use. So it would help me immensely if I could just select the letter and replace it with another font that has this special character.

Is there a way to do this in the latest iteration of the caption workflow? It only lets me select letters and change them with other letters right now but I was wondering if there is a trick do make it do what I need. It would save me a huge amount of time :).

The same as you would do with the "search and replace" tool in a Word document.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the answer is "no." And the workaround I see has some limitations.

Part of the problem is that search and replace is only available in the Text Panel. And you cannot format letter by letter in the Text Panel. You can only do that in the Program Monitor/Essential Graphics Panel.

A workaround is to search for the character in the Text Panel and then manually edit it in the Program Monitor. But the search function is not case sensitive, so it will find every instance of the character.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks. 

I didn't have much hope that it will work. Whatever you do you still have to do it manually.

I can't even select multiple letters in the program monitor :(. It is as hard as it can possibly be :))

This should be implemented in a future version if possible. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is a feature request:

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

If you make one, post the link here so we can upvote it.

You can select multiple letters, but only if they are next to each other; not the method you need. Very tedious.

I'd also explore a different font. Or look to see if there is an extended character set you can access.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stan, just want to say that you are a remarkable resource here.  You've been an enormous help with my project.  Hoping to dig in to my latest cut today and adjust the captions as per my client's notes.  Not dreading it...

thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the compliment! Good luck; let us know how it goes.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines