• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot import videos made with iOS 11 (iPhone 7)

New Here ,
Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since updating my iPhone 7 Plus to iOS 11, I've been unable to import videos taken with that phone into Adobe Premiere Pro 2017.1.2 (Mac). I understand that this has something to do with the new HEVC file format that iOS 11 uses to save videos to the iPhone file system. I'm sure there are a thousand ways to convert these videos, but that takes tons of time that should be used editing videos. Is there some codec that can be installed into Premiere to correct this import problem, or will there be a fix for this in a future Adobe update?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 28, 2017 Sep 28, 2017

2B.  Test other media. -- It sometimes happens that a particular problem is specific to one media type, so testing other supported camera media is a good troubleshooting step.  (I should note that cell phone and video game footage are NOT suitable media.  If you intend to edit with professional software, use a proper camera rather than your phone, and use a hardware recorder for screen capture...

Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid "change your equipment" is not a suitable answer. The question

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Step 2b below will solve this.

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2B.  Test other media. -- It sometimes happens that a particular problem is specific to one media type, so testing other supported camera media is a good troubleshooting step.  (I should note that cell phone and video game footage are NOT suitable media.  If you intend to edit with professional software, use a proper camera rather than your phone, and use a hardware recorder for screen capture...

Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid "change your equipment" is not a suitable answer. The question is that Premiere WAS able to import iPhone videos before the iOS 11 update, and now it doesn't. It appears that the author of this article has some pet peeve with people using cell phones as their video equipment, but this suggestion doesn't answer the question.

Nonetheless, I found an answer/workaround. For those of you who are having this same trouble, follow these instructions:

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Camera > Formats > change "High Efficiency" to "Most Compatible".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JasonB,

It appears that the author of this article has some pet peeve with people using cell phones as their video equipment, but this suggestion doesn't and aswer the question.

Sorry about that. We have some Premiere Pro users here on the forum that take umbrage with customers using consumer and mobile gear. This is not great advice, as some workflows are viable with mobile phones (especially, if you transcode the footage after acquiring it).

Kindly ignore the tone of that advice, it was meant to assist you, but certainly comes off as unhelpful.

I'm glad you were able to solve your issue by merely changing the settings. Great! Personally, I use FilmicPro to acquire footage on my iPhone. Works excellent.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So what about for those of use who already have footage recorded with the new IOS 11 device? I cannot go back in time and re-record those videos.... any other advice to make this work?

I looked the new IOS settings and it looks like the videos are recorded using codec HEIF/HEVC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 29, 2017 Sep 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you can have the iPhone convert the files to H.264 for export to your computer:

iOS 11, HEVC, HEIF: Learn all about the new video and photo formats

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2017 Sep 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Meg The Dog, I'll leave here for prosperity in case anyone else encounters this issue. I had to import my videos using the Photos app in Windows 10 and that somehow converted the codec to a useful one. Here are the instructions I followed:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4027134/windows-import-photos-and-videos-from-phone-to-pc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you can have the iPhone convert the files to H.264 for export to your computer:

iOS 11, HEVC, HEIF: Learn all about the new video and photo formats

MtD

On Mac, QuickTime should also do it. For PC, try Handbrake.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I converted my .mov file to .mp4 using Handbrake, but when pulling the .mp4 file over from my source view into my timeline, premiere pro still won't let me drop the video in. Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2018 Oct 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahh so it would seem you'd want to actually connect the iPhone and use the Image Capture application.  I was getting lazy and using Airdrop which did not convert the files upon transfer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 01, 2017 Oct 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to throw this out there I am an award winning iPhone photographer and videographer and I too cannot import my new 240 FPS 1080p 4k 60FPS videos into premiere. Reason: The iPhone 8 will only allow these formats when recording in HEVC/h.245 so the question is, when will adobe support these? (the same applies to lightroom and HEIF, but another thread I suppose)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi TristanNYC,

so the question is, when will adobe support these?

Soon, we hope. Sorry, I can't give out specific dates.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2017 Nov 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also very much like for this to be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please hurry with the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Just wondering if there was any update? Also, just so you know, at the moment the page with the list of supported formats still lists both HEVC and MOV without any note to mention that HEVC MOVs are not supported anywhere, as far as I can see.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2017 Nov 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jameyhoward,

Just wondering if there was any update?

No, sorry.

just so you know, at the moment the page with the list of supported formats still lists both HEVC and MOV without any note to mention that HEVC MOVs are not supported anywhere

That should probably be listed in a known issues doc. I will see to it.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 20, 2020 Jan 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so what do you do?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 11, 2017 Nov 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I edit iphone video all the time. I updated my mac to "High Sierra" so now that will play videos using the new HVEC codec.

But Premiere won't yet, please update asap.

One work around we did was have my buddy TEXT me the video files instead of dropbox ... that kicked them into H264.

and a side note...  I work at Fox News ... video coming out of the iPhone is better than a lot of our broadcast cameras, just shoot in landscape mode for god's sake!!

peace out,

happy editing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 26, 2018 Mar 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In fact, what you said also can be effective when it comes to HEIC image, which is also released with iOS 11. You can go to the camera setting to choose "Most Compatible". However, it is workable only for the images saved at a later time. For the existing images, you also have to take the aid of heic converter portable tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2019 Apr 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like your style.  Yes, people choose the best equipment they can, and I applaud the questioning party for trying to ingest the media before use.  Your camera type is unimportant when you ingest first, and recode the frames properly, filing in missing frames with full replacements.

I've gotten a lot of flack from gamers and youtubers who UPPERCASE all over the place about how they have deadlines and their equipment shouldn't matter when editing.  It shouldn't, but if you don't repair any breakages in media created by your equipment you will always get the old "garbage in, garbage out" problem.  Ingesting usually takes out the "know your equipment" necessity, however, when it comes to APPLE proprietary formats, that is never the case.

High Efficiency only works when opening on a mac in an apple provided program, and even then you get some issues from time to time.  The more compatible video settings are ubiquitous and provided as a catch all and they can "first look bad and make them come back to you for help, provide help with a simple workaround and make them love you again so they are more invested and feel like they know more than the average joe."  It's a common APPLE marketing ploy, and they do it often because it tends to keep people attached.

Having the "High Efficiency" version work only on apple software is a way of saying "you'll have to buy the rest from us to get the better sttuff."  Again, marketing.

Great job with the fix.  Glad to see some people here who are sticklers for good workflow design and practice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2019 Nov 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ios 11. Tried your work around but in settings - camera there's no FORMAT option

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes the "correct answer" unfortunately doesn't resolve things for existing HEVC videos. The "import using the Windows photo app" also doesn't work for me (the imported file is still unrecognized by APP, so I assume it was imported as HEVC). Other random conversion apps I've tried work, but quality is low and none seem to support higher frame rates. So that's not a real solution.

I did get a prompt initially in Premiere to install a codec, which I accepted. But it didn't change anything, the HEVC files still aren't recognized by Premiere (latest version). I tried uninstalling/re-installing Premiere to re-initiate that prompt just in case something went wrong initially - uninstalling/reinstalling did nothing, no new prompt, files still aren't recognized.

Annoyed at Apple for changing this setting w/o notification. Can someone from Adobe comment on support timeline for these files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found a way around it for now, complete pain in the arse, but it works until we get native support from Adobe.

http://www.tristanpope.com/portfolio/iphone-8-first-impressions/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Tried the Windows Photo App import method again after seeing TristanNYC's post and it did work for me.Tried it after seeing emmbec's suggestion initially and it didn't work, but realizing now that's because I copied to a USB drive to avoid how fickle the Iphone's connection can be to a a PC via USB.

Looks like you have to use the import method directly from the iphone.

Not ideal, but way better than my screen recorder method and has broader applicability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found an non-ideal solution, but it sort of works for some cases.

I used the screen recorder on iOS11 to playback my footage in slow motion.

The screen recoder clip can then be recognized by Premiere. Quality is limited to 1080, but at least you can get the super slow motion clips converted. Quality seems acceptable.

Lame but might allow me to use these clips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines