• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot move text position to be hidden by mask without mask tracking with the text

Participant ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to get two graphics with text with a vertical line between them to slide behind their respective masks (lined up with the edge of the vertical line) to disappear one after the other behind the line. But for whatever reason, when I try to make a second keyframe and slide the graphic past the vert line, the graphic is still visible.

I've attached screenshots to help illustrate the process I think I should be following. Maybe I'm missing an obvious setting or skipping a step or something?

Here's what I did:
1) Made a mask with the rectangle tool under the opacity.

2) Moved the corners of the mask so it lines up with the edge of the vertical line, and all the graphic is visible still. (I saw one youtube video which said to click inverse at step 1, but they were doing it the other way, ie: starting no text, and the text slides in and becomes visible, so I think I have it the right way round.

3) Made 1 keyframe on the position tool above, keeping the text visible as it is.

4) Moved the timeline on 10 frames, and made another keyframe in the position tool.

5) Then I clicked and dragged the x-axis coordinates until the text was fully past the vertical line. 

6) And I expected the blue text graphic to be hidden on the left hand side of the red vertical line. But it is still visible.

7) When I go to effects controls with the blue text graphic still highlighted, if I click on Mask #1 back under the Opacity heading in the effects controls, it highlights the mask, and as you can see in the 2nd position, it has tracked along with the text graphic. 

How do I get the mask to stay where it is, so when I use the position to slide the graphic over to the left, the mask stays to the right of the vertical line, and the blue text graphic disappears?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2020 Oct 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are you using the opacity mask? Stay in the EGP.

Create a rectangle on the space above each text line in the EGP. Click the "mask with shape" and "invert" options. Now if the text moves behind that rectangle ... or the rectangle moves over the shape ... it masks the text.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 10, 2020 Oct 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you explain in a bit more detail please? I'm not following what you're talking about at all. 
Re: EGP, I'm working in the Graphics space, and when I goto Window > Essential Graphics is checked. 
As for using the opacity mask, it's the only option where I can see that I can select a rectangle shape mask. (see screenshot attached)
Also I can't find any option to "mask with shape."

I did notice in one of the tutorials on youtube, that there was a 'Transform' option on her 'Effects Controls panel' but as you can see from my screenshots in the original post above, that seems to be absent from my effects controls panel. Is there a setting I've accidentally switched off or something, that will unlock all the things I apparently can't see?

If you could explain with a few screenshots it would really help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot 2020-10-09 at 23.00.38-Step_01.pngScreenshot 2020-10-09 at 23.00.51-Step_02.pngScreenshot 2020-10-09 at 23.01.21-Step_03.pngScreenshot 2020-10-09 at 23.02.00-Step_04.pngScreenshot 2020-10-09 at 23.02.28-Step_05.pngScreenshot 2020-10-09 at 23.02.38-Step_06.pngScreenshot 2020-10-09 at 23.02.57-Step_07.png

I can't find out how to edit my original post, so I'm embedding the 7 screenshots here as advised by Ann Bens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ALL in the EGP.

Create your line of text.

Now add a rectangle, using the "New Layer" option in the EGP, just below and to right of where it shows your text line.

It will add a rectangle on the screen, and show as "Shape 01" or whatever next number is available if you have multiple shapes, and right above the text line in the EGP. I would rename that as back for x text personally.

Move it where you need it to mask, and then down below, Click "Mask with shape" and "Invert".

The box visually disappears, but will block any text or shape items "below" it in the EGP controls.

Now you can animate either/both the box and the text either in the EGP or in the ECP using the controls in the Graphics section for each item.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using text though, they are png graphics from a company logo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see where to do a "new layer" as I'm not creating text, it's a graphic (containing text) that I want to slide behind the mask. 
I also don't see any option to "mask with shape". And when I click invert the graphic inside the mask box disappears, which is not what I want. I want the graphic text visible, and slide behind the vertical red line where it disappears behind the mask. 

I just need to know how to stop the mask from moving with the graphic, when I create a second keyframe and slide the position so the text is the other side of the line. 

I'm attaching a screenshot of the whole program layout, so if there's a setting unchecked, or there's some options not currently visible that I need to switch on, please let me know. 
Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 23.02.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey @R Neil Haugen if the content you want to move around under the mask is video, is there a way to control the bit of the video clip you want to display?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One option ... in the EGP, Edit tab,"New Item", select "from file".

Bring in your png file that way.

Now back to the "New Item" option and select "Rectangle" and make a rectangle, shaped to be the size you need to cover the graphic file. Set it where you need the graphic to disappear, and click Mask with Shape then Invert. (This of course needs to be above the graphic in the EGP layer list.)

With this above the graphic, again ... you can animate the graphic easily. You can do a bunch of these in one graphic item.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 11, 2020 Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try and explain in as exhaustive detail as possible, because you don't seem to grasp what I'm trying to do either from my list of screenshots, or from my posts.

If I put a rectangle mask over the blue text graphic png you can see in the screenshots, then by clicking invert, the blue text disappears. That's not what I want. I want the text visible, and when I move it to the left past the red vertical line, it disappears behind the mask. But everytime I make my 2 keyframes in the position tool, and try to move the blue text to the left of the line, the text moves, but the rectangle mask moves with the text, so the text doesn't disappear. 

What I'm asking for is a way to stop the mask moving with the graphic. Nothing else. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think i got it.

Set keyframes on the mask path to keep it in postion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know what you mean by "set keyframes on the mask path"

Btw, I gave up trying to animate the graphic, and I made the logo by adding the necessary fonts to my library and redesigning the logo in Premiere. That way I have more control over what part of the logo moves and when.

For clarity, watch the following tutorial from the 8:20m mark, where the author describes how to make text appear from behind a line. I'm trying to do the same with some text, but in her example she says to 

From the screenshots of her screen, and mine, you can see I appear to be missing a lot of the functionality she is describing. There is no Transform section in my effects control panel. So have I setup in the wrong mode, or is there a setting that has been disabled that I need to enable again?Screenshot 2020-10-11 at 16.51.37.pngScreenshot 2020-10-11 at 16.53.05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the difference is the tutorial is all made in the EGP while you are trying to do the same with a png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're not following the suggestions, so of course they don't work.

Move the mask to where you want the png to disappear. Then animate the text bit (or text png, it it is one), so it slides over "behind" the masked shape.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines