Highlighted

Canon 5D Mark IV - Large files available in camera not recognized by Windows

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A few days ago I recorded a kind of video tutorial. I recorded 23 takes in 4K. Most of the takes are short, below 1 minute, and stay below 4 Gb each. However, 3 takes were a few minutes long.

Those long takes are available if I play them inside the camera, via the LCD screen. However, when I connect the USB cable, Windows shows them as 0 Kb. Adobe imports only 20 of the 23 takes. I have tried using Adobe Encoder to re-encode them using the camera's USB as the source, but it does not recognize them. I have also tried using Handbrake, but the same happens.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- Is it possible to retrieve these large files somehow? How do bigger productions do it then?

- If not, is it possible to convert them using the camera as the source?

- If not, does the camera have a built in option to convert to MP4 for example?

- What would you do?

Thanks.

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Canon 5D Mark IV - Large files available in camera not recognized by Windows

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

A few days ago I recorded a kind of video tutorial. I recorded 23 takes in 4K. Most of the takes are short, below 1 minute, and stay below 4 Gb each. However, 3 takes were a few minutes long.

Those long takes are available if I play them inside the camera, via the LCD screen. However, when I connect the USB cable, Windows shows them as 0 Kb. Adobe imports only 20 of the 23 takes. I have tried using Adobe Encoder to re-encode them using the camera's USB as the source, but it does not recognize them. I have also tried using Handbrake, but the same happens.

I have a couple of questions if you don't mind:

- Is it possible to retrieve these large files somehow? How do bigger productions do it then?

- If not, is it possible to convert them using the camera as the source?

- If not, does the camera have a built in option to convert to MP4 for example?

- What would you do?

Thanks.

Robert

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Mar 20, 2017 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a card reader instead of trying to read the file using the camera's USB port. When you connect a camera to Windows it doesn't treat it like a regular external drive, and all manner of strange things often happen.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 20, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried the card reader in both Windows and Mac. Windows still shows 0 KB, and Mac gives me an error when I try to export the takes into an external hard drive. I am wondering if this has to do with the Format type of the card and my computer.

I might need to re-shoot the thing.

Nevertheless, is there a setting in the camera to force it to make a new file every 2-3GB for example? I don't have issues with files below 4GB.

Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 25, 2017 0
Explorer ,
Mar 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future viewers: I have continued the conversation below, which I still have to test:

How to import large video files from Canon 5D Mark IV?: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital P...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Mar 29, 2017 0
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the issue. My video (canon-log) file was 13 GB. I used both card readers, image capture and EOS Utility to no avail. Let me know if anyone has figured it out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 23, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

are you copying the files to a local drive first?  that's probably a good idea.  And make sure the drive is formatted in something besides FAT32 which has a file size limitation of about 4 gigs...and that there is sufficient empty space on the drive.    post back if this helped or not...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2020 1