• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon R5 Choppy Playback

New Here ,
Sep 13, 2020 Sep 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having issues with Canon R5 playback in Premiere Pro. Playback is smooth for the first few seconds and then it lags for a bit before freezing up, while still playing the audio from the clip. Lag happens even when playback is 1/16th resolution. The play/pause button is even delayed when pressed. I've had no issues with 4k footage from my 1DX Mark ii, or DJI Mavik Pro 2. I've had this same issue while playing back footage on my PC as well as my laptop, both using SSD's (specs below).

Proxies work of course, but I'm wondering if anyone else is having slowdowns while editing without proxies with R5 footage.

PC specs:

Windows 10 64bit

Asus RTX 2080ti

64GB DDR4 Ram

Intel i9-9900K Eight-Core

Laptop specs:

Razer Blade 15 Studio Edition

Nvidia Quadro RTX 5000

32GB DDR4 Ram

Intel i7-10875H Eight-Core

Thank you for any help!

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as well. 

New Mac Pro with 16-core processor. 128gb RAM, Dual 16GB Graphics Cards, Afterburner Card, internal SSD. The whole shabang. I throw R5 footage into a project and premiere acts like it can't think. Makes my entire computer run like a 2005 laptop with 2GB of RAM. Please let me know if you find any fix for this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Aftterburenr card is for acceleration of Pro Res. My guess is that the R5 is using an odd variation of H.264 that Nvenc and Quick Sync cannot encode or decode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From what I have seen, the issue lies in the fact that the R5 RAW records 10 bit 4:2:2 HEVC files and to my knowledge, that decoding is not supported by Premiere Pro with any GPU or Intel QuickSync. Unless Premiere has added HEVC 4:2:2 decoding, I don't believe it's possible to edit R5 10 bit footage without the use of proxies. From what I have seen, the new M1 chips from Apple will work but possibly not with Premiere. I have seen charts from Puget Systems that says Davinci Resolve can decode it but that's about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2021 Jun 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Josh,

Sorry about that. You can certainly file a feature request on User Voice. That said, I think that the spec is not supported on the hardware side, according to this matrix from NVIDIA: https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

In other words, I don't think it is solely under the control of the Premiere Pro engineering team to fix. Though I am not on the engineering team, I would think that support for these codecs with denser color information is more of a case of working with our partners, like NVIDIA, in finding a solution.

If you see the footage playing back natively on M1 computers in other applications, have you tried the footage in Premiere Pro Beta on an M1? If you do not have access to such a Mac, I would be happy to test that for you if you upload a short sample for me to test. That said, an M1 Mac does not use NVENC technology, so it would be different tech decoding that file.

For now, proxies or transcoding would be the route to go (for me, at least).

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines