Highlighted

Captioning files and clips

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I'm very new to Premiere and editing in general.]

I have .srt and .mp4 files.  It's likely that the .srt timing isn't fully aligned with the video.

1. How do I import the .srt file?

2. How can i align the timing of the captions with the video.

3. If I want to then clip segements of the video with the captions, how do I do that? (so the captions stay linked to the video)

3a. I'm not sure how to take one long video and cut it into several segments and delete some.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Wasn't sure how to search for this in helpful ways.

Thanks.

michael

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Captioning files and clips

Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[I'm very new to Premiere and editing in general.]

I have .srt and .mp4 files.  It's likely that the .srt timing isn't fully aligned with the video.

1. How do I import the .srt file?

2. How can i align the timing of the captions with the video.

3. If I want to then clip segements of the video with the captions, how do I do that? (so the captions stay linked to the video)

3a. I'm not sure how to take one long video and cut it into several segments and delete some.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Wasn't sure how to search for this in helpful ways.

Thanks.

michael

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Aug 14, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dont think many users here will jump to the opertunity to explain all you are asking.

Might want to start here: https://helpx.adobe.com/search-results.html?q=captions%20premiere%20pro&facets_fields=%5B%22applicab...

When you get stuck then we will help you out.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 14, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This set of links was very helpful, thanks.  I has been searching for ".srt" vs. the more broad category of captioning!  Thanks.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Ann's link. First just work with the full clip you import and the .srt. Cutting caption streams does not work the way you will want, so ask questions when you get to that stage.

What is your end delivery platform? Are you going to burn the captions in? Are you putting them on Youtube where the user can turn the captions on and off? The workflow will be very different depending...

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Aug 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response too.  I will need to create 2 versions: 1) open captions, and 2) embedded/closed captions.   We have videos on our website, need to deliver to our non-profit funders, and then put them on YouTube where people can turn on/off.   (In the past, I've created videos - uploaded to youtube, had a captioning service create an .srt from that final video product, and then added the .srt file to YouTube to sync up.  This doesn't allow us to then export a file with captions always visible, etc.)

Appreciate your response.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 15, 2020 0