• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions in PP 15.0: Best workflow for source videos with .srt

New Here ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to find a good workflow in PP 15.0 for my captioning needs. I have a few dozen source videos which all already have separate .srt files with captions. I want edit these videos and export it with a new .srt file of the edited video.  I tried two workflow options but neither is ideal. 

Option A: import all source video files and their .srt's directly into one sequence. Pro: After editing, I can export the video and a sidecar .srt file from the edit (which is my goal). Con: Editing is cumbersome, as the captions do not move with the videos, and do not seem to be able to link to the videos somehow. So, with each shift in the video files you have the shift the caption by the same amount.

Option B: Import each source video + srt file in a separate sequence, then import all these sequences into a master sequence where you edit everything. Pro: Much easier editing, as now the videos and srt's are 'grouped'. Con: It is a bit of extra work to first nest all the video files inside a separate sequence. But more importantly: it seem impossible to export the captions as .srt from the master sequence!

Am I missing something, or are these the limitations of the current solution? Any help appreciated!

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Hi Stan, thanks for your answer. Yes, that's exactly the issue I'm having - dealing with many source videos that each have an .srt file. However, I just saw in PP 15.2 introduces a better caption trimming system: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2021-4.ug.html#caption-enhancements

I'll check out if that works. If you have any other ideas/workarounds in the meantime, please let me know!  

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think this is a problem with the new caption system. Let me make sure I understand your goal.

There is no problem, and I think you are saying this, with working with one source file with .srt file associated with it. Cuts, moves, etc, work just fine (as long as you keep the caption track also targeted). And, therefore, .srt exported from the edited video is also okay.

But 2 characteristics of the new caption workflow create a problem as soon as you add a second video with a second srt associated with it. a) You can't get more than one Caption Track active at a time. b) You can't associate a Caption Track with a Video Track. 

I'm thinking about workarounds, but they would be tedious.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, thanks for your answer. Yes, that's exactly the issue I'm having - dealing with many source videos that each have an .srt file. However, I just saw in PP 15.2 introduces a better caption trimming system: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/whats-new/2021-4.ug.html#caption-enhancements

I'll check out if that works. If you have any other ideas/workarounds in the meantime, please let me know!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reminder. Embedded captions are no longer as important as they once were - unless that is what you need! But this would be an advantage.

Let us know when you give it a try!

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines