Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions not aligning

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2016 Oct 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm doing subtitles in a couple of different languages for a set of videos. For some reason I have lines that won't let me center them. I center them using the square grid in Premiere, but after exporting, it's like none of my edits saved and the problem subtitles are cut off at the right.

I've tried closing and opening my project multiple times, opening it on different computers, and also copying my sequence into a whole new project. Regardless of what I do, the outcome is the same. I am unable to change the same lines, and those exact points have issues in all of the different language subtitles I'm doing. I"m using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015.4

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2017 Jan 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hello

1. it's a bug. hasbn't been fixed in 2017.1 either

2. What I do is export without Queue, but rather direct exporting. that works.

3. sometimes even centering is not exact but you can move it to the center by adding sapces at the end of the line

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem.  with 2015.4, im in the process of upgrading to 2017 since the tech support told me that they fixed it in that version...

If you export without Queue but rather direct export will it center align everything? If so, what do you set your X to and do u have to choose the Center Alignment? Or you can leave it as Left aligned.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2017 Jan 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

2017 - as I've written hasn't solved the problem.

You need to align the first one from start, the next ones are supposed to follow what you've done with the first one.

after you finish - recheck all the subs, and then export directly. that's the way I work with it.

it's tough, I rather creating a template from after effects

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2017 Jan 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed, I fear. I've been fighting with this for a month now and nothing works, the spaces at the end are rather unreliable as well. As I have to realign all the subtitles one by one before every test render (since there's still no "edit all" after all these years), it makes it a rather time consuming affair.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 03, 2017 Oct 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this same issue, particularly when opening older projects and the only solution I have found is to change the caption font size and for some reason this resets the caption position to where it should be

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2021 Oct 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. The captions appeared to align to center when i set the font size below 56pt. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you encounter the problem of Open Captions not centering try the following:

1. Locate the Open Caption file (You can right click on the caption layer in your sequence and select Reveal in Project.

2. Select the file, File -> Export -> Captions

3. Select your file format

4. Save it as a different file name.

5. Delete your existing Caption file

6. Import the caption file you saved above

7. Insert into your Timeline

Of course the formatting of the Open Caption file resets. However, Premiere re-centers the captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread started with PR 15.4 and indicated the problem was not fixed with PR 2017. Several changes were made in PR 2018, and 2019 has just been released.

I was not able to replicate this problem in PR 2018, so I don't have a reliable test. But in PR 2018 (not sure which version if not the first) and now 2019, we are able to select all captions and set the alignment in one go.

The thread appears to be addressing in part whether certain captions can get cut off on the right. Is that still an issue for anyone, and if so, what specific dot version are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, my captions are cut off on the right side and do not want to align center.  I can't believe Premiere is considered a professional product that people spend thousands of dollars on over the years.

Premiere Pro CC v  12.1.2 (Build 69)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure the caption stream size matches the sequence?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2019 May 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug unfortunately made its way back in version 13.1 on Mac OS.

Very annoying.

Lines are off center and it is impossible to change the x value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same problem... Smh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2019 Jun 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I do in the captions panel:

1. I make all the changes needed in the text (it might look amazingly bad after some cut, paste, delete, write).

2. Then, I change the size of the text twice (the first time to make it bigger or smaller, the second time to the original size) that will remove the unwanted spaces generated between words.

3. Then, use the alignment tool to the desired alignment position (usually bottom center). It will somehow activate the text justification and the alignment at once.

4. If you want to change the space between lines, do it manually by clicking on the line you want to move and then adjust the Y position.

* Sometimes even doing this won´t fix the caption, so you may need to adjust the alignment with the spacebar.

It is a very stupid -and slow- process, but is the only way I have found to "solve" this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2020 Sep 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had this problem and sorted it! I was editing 4K down to HD 1080p and my captions were off wack when rendered. Didn't matter if they were open/closed.  You have to keep in mind captions are not graphics; they are a bunch of code that gets thrown in the mix on render. So I took my 4K footage, edited it as 4K (using proxies) and then rendered to 1080p and the problem disappeared.

Cheer up, tomorrow is another day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David John King,

What if your footage is already 1080p? I tried rendering it and nothing changed.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2020 Oct 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd just check your sequence settings match your raw footage. For me it seemed irrelavent what the edit was rendered at. Where I saw a problem was if I had 4K raw footage and resized it to 1080. Plus, make sure when you create new captions that the frame size matches the sequence. So far I have had no more problems. Oh and when you introduce new footage and it asks if you want to change settings or keep existing ones ... go for 'keep existing' settings. 

Having said that I think Adobe could put way more effort into captions. It would be great to see a new app that converted audio to text and seemlessly slotted the caption into a sequence. Hey how about a button that said "create captions"...and then did! Captions are all part of inclusivity and really important but to be honest I didn't signup to become a typist.

Cheer up, tomorrow is another day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2020 Dec 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

-- The following is based on Premiere Pro CC 2020, v14.7.0 --

1.  In the Project panel >> RMB on the captions >> Modify >> Captions.
    1. In here I used Open Captions, which allows me to set dimensions.
  2. Match dimensions to your preferred video output.
    1. Mine is set to 1080p with preferred video output/export product to be 1080p, as well.
  3. Set the Pixel Aspect Ratio to Square Pixels (1.0).
  4. Deselect the input fields and press enter
    1. Clicking the close icon discards any changes

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

issue.PNG

Super Frustrated.

I want a button that does this all for me. no more exporting the audio and using a 3rd party speech to text converter and then pasting in the lines one at a time. I want it to automatically set up the captions (with small spaces in the pauses) and all I would have to do is search for errors in the automated text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screenshot is from the prior version of Premiere Pro. The newest versions (PR 2021; Version 15) has a totally revamped workflow. But the "transcribe sequence" option is still in beta. It is working very well, but we don't know when it will be in a release version.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2023 Sep 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is still a problem 7 years later!! I'm going spare...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Katie, this is an old thread with versions of PR that used the old caption workflow. I recommend starting a new thread and describing the problem you are seeing with screenshots.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems as though I was having a different issue entirely but I can't delete my reply so I guess it's here for good now 🙃

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

lol. No problem; I just want to be sure you get the help you need to sort whatever issue you're having.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines