• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions Not Lining Up With In and Out marks

Community Beginner ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a problem with Captions. I'm working in PRP CC 14.0.1 build 71 on a Mac running Big Sur 11.1 My project is a basic HD one running 1920x1080, 23.98fps, square pixel, progressive. The file in my timeline is a pre-rendered QT PR4444. I'm only adding captions within this project on two different cuts.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.19.04 PM.png 

As I create captions in my project, I can't get the out point to be at the spot where the caption stops. The timeline shows the caption stopping, but the caption keeps going for an additional 5 frames. I just can't get my captions to line up with the VO. Grabbing the markers within the caption on the timeline has no positive effect. Out point is 02:13 but it stops at 02:18. This is happening across the board on the timeline.

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.05.27 PM.png

 

Screen Shot 2021-01-26 at 10.22.07 PM.png

Is this a frame rate issue? Is there a way to ensure my In and Out points are accurate? The Caption layer is stretched out from 00:00 (beginning of show) to the end at 29:23 with captions positioned appropriately to match the VO. 

Your thoughts would be most welcomed! Thank you.

Matthew

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it should work. In my quick test, I can set the end point of a 708 Caption stream to any frame. And the display goes "off" at the correct timecode.

Confirm that you need 708 closed captions. How do you plan to export them? Embedded, sidecar, burned in?

How was the caption stream created? Look at the caption stream properties. What is the frame rate. 708 will show with an incorrect pixel size; don't worry about that.

Stan 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan.

We are delivering an SRT file - sidecar. Frame rate is 23.976, matching the clip I'm connecting them to. The captions were created by clicking File > New > Captions then choosing CEA-708, Stream Service 1 & 23.976 for frame rate. From there, pulled out the Caption to the entire clip in my timeline then added captions with the plus sign in the bottom of the Caption tool.

Matthew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One suggestion: test your entire workflow, including export and import/use on whatever platform it is going to. You'll see threads related to having trouble syncing closed captions on export.

I'm not sure you need to work in a 708 stream. But, as I said, there have been odd issues with closed streams.

Note that having your stream starting a zero does not mean the exported file will start at zero. You must have a caption - even if only a space or whatever - that starts at zero. Depending on the final use, that may or may not be an issue.

I still don't see why you would have the issue you describe. Try exporting as srt, then post the first 4 captions or so in this thread. Do the start/stop times for each caption match what you see in the caption panel? And the problem is that a) the actual appearance of the caption on screen matches which timecode? and b) the caption block (black block in the timeline itself) matches which timecode?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines