• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions not updating (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working in the latest version of Premiere and set up some Open Captions as subtitles. When I duplicate a caption file in the project window and use a duplicate in the timeline, the captions don't update when I make ANY changes, such as writing a new text or adjust timings. After restarting Premiere, the captions update correctly. Seems some sort of cache issue. I have to set up a lot of captions, so restarting each time is not an option. Any tips? Thanks.

[Moderator note: This thread is now locked. They have completely replaced the old method of creating captions. New questions should be in new threads.]

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Captions have been buggy for quite a while now. You can "vote" for Adobe to address this issue (and others) here:

captions – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ren_Cloudsurfer,

Still seeing this issue? Let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2018 Jun 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same problem as Ren_Cloudsurfer.  If I place an Open Caption and a Closed Caption in a sequence ... my workflow is to have a whole transcript created from a session and cut together with the Open/Closed for different renderings for social media ... the updates I make to the Open Caption formatting or content does not change in the timeline preview.  If I reset PP, whatever changes were made are shown, but future changes don't apply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing the same issue. Drag a handle to change a caption length and the change doesn't appear in the canvas making the feature totally unusable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please return to this thread and finalise this aspect of the product? Captions are really freaking buggy. Both in editing and exporting. Sometimes there odd time shifts, sometimes they won't render. Now I'm experiencing pricesely the same issue as original poster.

Latest CC version, MBP 2017 15", 2,9 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Radeon Pro 560 4 GB, Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, working off and external SSD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this issue as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest workaround is this:

1. Change your .srt file to a .txt file

2. Open the .txt file in note pad

3. make your edits in notepad (spacing, fonts, etc.)

4. Save the .txt file

5. Change the .txt file back to a .srt file

6. All the changes should be reflected in premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cohdeey21  wrote

The simplest workaround is this:

lol. Yes, not using PR to edit captions avoids all those problems!

I prefer using SubtitleEdit (a free program) since it will also do error checking and avoids the tedious details of not making errors with the text formatting.

Keep in mind that many threads about caption problems involve descriptions of multiple problems.

I have a new theory about changes that do not show in the project/source monitors, but I have not tested these beyond a couple tries. When a caption stream is "duplicated," the duplicate stream does not show changes, and requires one of the strategies to get PR to resync the actual caption stream to what shows in the program monitor (close/reopen; change timebase andback, etc).

This can be avoided by exporting the original caption stream if changed and import the new version as a new stream.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2019 Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the simplest!!!? Kill me now! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Still experiencing this issue. EVERY time I work with captions in Premiere. I have the newest version of Premiere.

In short - exactly the same issue as the original poster. If I duplicate a caption - for instance if I want to make a shorter version of the same video  - then the new captions will not update. Sometimes not even when I restart the program. Also the captions update in the timeline windown, but not in the Captions window. 

When will you fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2020 Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also jumping in, Everything was just updated. It's currently June 16, 2020, still happening. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 12, 2020 Sep 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love how the "Correct" answer to this question was to vote for Adobe to fix it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Same problem. Cost me a day or two extra edit Thats about 1200 dulls. Please fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

what worked for me was to restart the project (i know it's annoying) but after restart the subs were updated. Hope it will help some of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captions have been buggy for quite a while now. You can "vote" for Adobe to address this issue (and others) here:

captions – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me.

Project window, right click the caption, modify > captions

timebase > changed this to a different/wrong setting which pushed it to update.

then changed it back to what it should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for suggesting another method. Hopefully one will work when needed!

Do you have any ideas on what can reproduce the problem for testing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2019 Mar 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this workaround did it for me too, thanks! Still annoying though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot! that worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 26, 2019 Sep 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same bug still exists in the latest version of Premiere 26 Sep 19. Luckily this workaround also still worked for me. Adobe, please fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, that worked for me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 27, 2020 Feb 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this workaround does not work anymore for me since I updated to v14.01 aka 2020

😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2020 Mar 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legend! thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have tried this but it doesn't work for me. The caption timeline cannot be updated. 

Do you have any other suggestions? I'm not an expert, so any help would be much appreciated. I'm using the 2020 version. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings fellow inmates,

Adobe jail, I presume.  but not for long. 

OK, been a while since my last subtitle project, so watched a couple of youtube demos.  The tutorial shows the ability to change the font, etc in the Captions window.  I upgraded to PPro cc 14. 7 from 2019 versions.  NO adjustments windows, dropdowns, etc.  

I've uninstalled and reinstalled it twice.   This is starting to feel like FCP 3 all over again!!!  

Any advice?  Where did all those adjustment options go in the captions window on the tutorial????

tnx,

Haltutorial v1.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines