• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions not updating (Premiere Pro 14.9 and earlier)

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2018 Apr 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm working in the latest version of Premiere and set up some Open Captions as subtitles. When I duplicate a caption file in the project window and use a duplicate in the timeline, the captions don't update when I make ANY changes, such as writing a new text or adjust timings. After restarting Premiere, the captions update correctly. Seems some sort of cache issue. I have to set up a lot of captions, so restarting each time is not an option. Any tips? Thanks.

[Moderator note: This thread is now locked. They have completely replaced the old method of creating captions. New questions should be in new threads.]

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Aug 20, 2018 Aug 20, 2018

Captions have been buggy for quite a while now. You can "vote" for Adobe to address this issue (and others) here:

captions – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, the inserted pic is from the tutorial and shows the adjustment options. 

Hal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Post a screenshot of your own captions; I suspect you don't have Open Captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2020 May 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! But what a shame on Premiere! This is absolutly ridiculous 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me! I tried so many things and nothing was working on this forum but I found this and IT WORKED!!!!

"First, quit Premiere. Then, in the Common folder, highlight Media Cache, Media Cache Files, and Peak files (if it’s there), and delete them. That’s it! When you relaunch a project file, Premiere will automatically regenerate the necessary cache files for the media in that project"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked a treat. I can't wait for the day I never have to use this terrible software anymore. Been using PP as my go to since FCP7 stopped functioning. There was a period of a year or two when it was pretty solid, but since 2018 it's become so unstable. Don't know how they can call premiere professional editing software when it's so unbeliveably unprofessional. I spend half my time on projects troubleshooting these days, which adds SO MUCH STRESS to an already stressful job. It's unacceptable and when I have a choice on what project I'm editing in the future it's gonna be FCPX or Avid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exactly my thoughts yesterday.

I know no one who works (professionaly) with either adobe software and has no issues or is looking for alternatives.

Nevertheless thanks for the solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS. This is the actual answer to this thread! Thanks man, it worked like a charm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked for me on Premiere 2020... crazy it's still not been addressed. Bloody lifesaver! Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The captions process is being completely rebuilt. If you need captions, I would suggest trying the public beta available via the beta tab in the CC desktop app. You can install that alongside any other versions or PrPro you have without troubles.

They have added a TON of changes and improvements there, and you can actually do the captions in the beta, export them and apply in your shipping verision.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<< I would suggest trying the public beta available via the beta tab in the CC desktop app. You can install that alongside any other versions or PrPro you have without troubles.>>

Neil,

If you are referring to the Beta Apps in the left side column of the CC desktop, the Premier Pro Beta is not compatible with my computer. I presume it's an OS issue. If so, I'll look into changing the OS sometime soon, although I'm grossly allergic to those kind of changes. Please encourage me with evidence of good tidings!!!
Thanks very much for your suggestions.
Sanjay

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, updating an OS ... that can be right scary. And these days, it doesn't matter which side of the canyon, Mac or PC. Some Mac people I know who used to upgrade their Mac the moment a new Mac OS came out have been horribly burned by recent updates.

They have started using an older Mac rig that is an assistant's machine to test new Mac OSs, even then only after it's been out a couple months and they know people already using it.

Yea, pretty much like us PC people have always needed to do.

So ... hope you can feel comfortable upgrading the OS soon, and that PrPro's captions get vastly improved. Period.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You, sir, saved my life! This should be marked as the correct answer. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys, what works ? I don't see the tips anywhere in this thread? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

tristanc, This is a long thread with many methods, some correct, some not. One rule of thumb is NOT to create DUPLICATE caption streams inside Premiere. When you do, they are pretty much guaranteed to have t his problem.

Otherwise, most of the complimentary responses in this nested thread are referring to this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/captions-not-updating/m-p/9872186#M152197

That method is: Project window, right click the caption, modify > captions.

timebase > changed this to a different/wrong setting which pushed it to update.

Then revert back to the correct timebase.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the actual current solution - thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The whole Caption item is really buggy. A little bit a shame that's this basic functions are not fixed. You would expect from Adobe that such a basic functionality would be fixed and that at least it is tested before launching any new version of the program.

A have a project with 7 different languages on my timeline. For example, regulary the sequence settings are changing f.e to another height.width ratio Then you try to fix it by the modify item, it looses its medialink. Try to reconnect without succes . You have to re-import it and hope that you have exported on regular base.

The settings of Font of the caps dissipear on a regular base.

Many Times Captions are not updated in the project window. Closing and opening the project fix it. or sometimes,

select clip and just select Source-settings in the clip menu helps. Although source settings further doing nothing.

In general pls Adobe take care about the time handles of a sub clip. I mean when you drag it in a clip to change the start or stop time  of a subtitle and you are not taking care, it is possible that you drag the complete clip. And everything has been shifted, and you can not selected multiple textframes, to shift, it has to be done one by one.

Nice would be if you could fixate the clip and move around with the individual timehandles (not a bug but a feature)

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, I've had the same issue for a few very frustrating hours today.

And finally have somewhat of a SOLUTION!

I tried reseting pp, i tried turning the computer off and on, i tried duplicating the subtitles and adding them on top of the other in the timeline(which oddly worked sometimes). I have however been working over several sequences most of which were having subtitle problems, and this solution works for me.

My end solution: In the menu select Sequence> delete render files - then select in to out or whatever is appropriate for your project.

This resets the render over your captions.

Please note I have only done this for open captions, not sure about cc.

The problem I deduced seamed to be that for some reason the subtitles(when not working properly) display old rendered previews. whether that be an old unedited version or even in some cases, a completely different subtitle file. Perhaps this is some kind of failure to delete old cache files or who knows what...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding this. My list of workarounds included clearing the media cache, but deleting render files is more likely to work for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... Delete render files isn't available to me, it's greyed out! How frustrating...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

exact same problem here. caption edits do not update. size, colour etc wont update unless the project is re started for every change?

win10 ppro latest v i9 cpu 32gb ram nvidia rtx 2080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

To fix this issue, what I did was import captions file, edit captions, export file in SRT with a new filename, delete old captions file in project, import updated SRT file.

This worked for me when unfortunately other options above didn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP has not returned even after requesting an update. We'll assume he was able to fix his issue. If you have an issue, kindly create a new post or file an issue on user voice: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2019 Oct 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This isn't fixed. I am on the latest version of Pr and it's the exact same issue. I downloaded an SBV file from YouTube converted to an SRT with an online tool, and imported the SRT into Pr. The changes I make to captions (splitting a long caption into two lines for example) have no effect on the clip in the timeline. The edits appear in the caption panel but that's it. If I do a "Make Offline" on the SRT clip and then reconnect it the changes appear.... The caption system has been a mess for far, far too long. Things like this were supposed to see more attention under the subscription model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2019 Oct 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: after about 20 minutes of working with it, suddenly everything starts behaving as it should. The captions update when I split lines and I can re-time their in and outs no problem. After 30 minutes or so of that suddenly, I can't slide the in-point anymore... I have to move the out point and then MOVE the whole caption left if I want to change the in point. Secondly, and I've seen this other times I've worked on captions, if I try to move the timeline with the hand tool (to advance to the next captions I want to work on) it will act as if I moved a caption ("Move Caption" appears in the history)... even though I am not clicking it... just a blank area of the timeline. Sometimes, it will even draw the caption clip down in the audio area where I am using the hand tool while I am holding down the left mouse button!

Adobe, this is a MESS. It's LONG past time to get captions resolved. I've seen people complaining about it for YEARS. I've been a Pr user since 1.0 and this have never worked. Come on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree on this being a nuisance, and incredibly still not solved.

Besides this problem of 'captions not updating', I've had some strange occurrances of chosen fonts changing spontaneously into other fonts when exporting with 'burned in' subtitles - with extra text backgrounds I never used, some fonts not showing up at all, font edges extending far outside the texts like spikes, etc.

For an application that's almost the 'industry standard', this is an incredible set of annoyances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines