Captions showing 2 caption tracks at the same time (2021 workflow)

New Here ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know how to get multiple caption tracks to show at the same time? I have two people talikng at the same time and I wanted to time the captions seperately.

helpscreen.png

Im currently using the latest captions workflow introduced in the 2021 update.

TOPICS
Editing, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct Answer

Adobe Community Professional , Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021
Actually ... right-click in the Text box over the current caption text area. Sorry, I mis-wrote it here. Neil  

Translate

Translate
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clicking the eye disables the other track.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EDITED:

Right-click on the caption text in the Text window, and one option is "Add Track". That gives you a second caption block on that track. Make sure you type something in both text blocks.

Then in the Essential Graphics Panel, you will see two lines of text. Select one, and then use the movement controls to place it on the screen where you want it.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response! Im not getting what your saying though as adding a new track doesnt add the track to the same block. As you can see I have two seperate tracks. The issue is when I click the eye to reveal on one the other goes hidden automatically. Am I not understanding what a Block" is?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry It creates a new track. It doesnt add a block to the same track.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually ... right-click in the Text box over the current caption text area. Sorry, I mis-wrote it here.

Neil

Captions Second Text Block.PNG

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked! Thank you soooo much!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good it's working. And so sorry about mis-writing that up above! I've edited it to correct my mistake.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya know, I've mistaken as well. That helped to solve about half of it but this is the actual problem I am having.

I have a video where two people talk a few seconds after one another, talking over each other, and I want to represent that in my captions. But when I try to put two lines of captions at the same time, premiere does not let me. I do manage to get all of the captions together in the export, but the later caption cuts off the earlier one and I wanted them both to remain on the screen at the same time. All in all. The issues is when I have to have interupting captions. I am not abel to time them correct as one track disables when I switch to another.

Thanks so much for the previose help though at that solved other issues I had.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, real,

I wonder if you are still working with two TRACKS, and not with one TRACK. What you want is ONE track, ONE caption SEGMENT, and TWO caption BLOCKS in that one segment. Some screenshots....

The terms used: a caption SEGMENT is what we ordinarily call a single caption, and it occurs in the range of a beginning and ending timecode. In that segment, you can have one or more caption blocks. But you can have only one segment in a timecode. The Blocks in that segment all appear for the same time.

A caption BLOCK is one or more text objects in a caption segment. A caption block can have the same, or different position, text color, background, etc. Note that a Caption Track "Style" applies to all captions/segments/blocks in a track, and so if you apply a style, they will all get the same treatment. Caption Blocks are not documented (yet), but this is what staff have said and/or I have concluded from my tests.

Right click on a caption in the Text Panel and you get a drop down that includes "Add new text block to caption.":

PR 2021 Captions Text Panel w Right Click Dropdown.PNG

Once the second block is created, they share the same settings, so overlap each other. They are both at the same timecode range. You can select each separately in the Essential Graphics Panel, and apply different settings. So I selected the first (original) block, and moved it to the left bottom grid setting. Then I selected the second, moved it to the bottom right, changed the text color, and added a background.

PR 2021 Captions Captions Track Two Blocks S2 Edit.PNG

So you might make all the captions for speaker one in block one, and the other speaker block two. I don't know if this is a practical method. I'd like to see more tools to allow grouping blocks and treating them in some more automatic manner.

I have more screenshots if this does not make sense.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2021 Mar 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

okey this working , thnk u

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines