• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Captions window needs to be scrolled down for every single caption (Premiere Pro 15.0)

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

Is there a way to fix that the new captions window automatically scrolls up to the top every single time I click somewhere else?

If I want to add a new caption, even when I click on the plus icon it doesn't jump down to show the new caption. So I have to scroll down again to see the text box & and to make any changes. 

Scrolling the window for every single caption is a huge interruption in the workflow. 

Similar to when I double click on a caption inside the timeline panel, it doesn't jump to that one inside the captions window. I have to scroll and search for that particular highlighted one; that's very time consuming in a big project!

I'm also disappointed that we cannot change the time code of a caption anymore inside the captions window, only within the timeline panel. Why take away that option? 

TOPICS
Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

There's another thread here that addressess this issue as well:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/clicking-quot-quot-for-new-caption-text-window-doesn-t-take-you-to-the-new-caption-edit-box/m-p/11905966#M335463

Within that thread I found some info that resulted in a workflow that has significantly sped up my workflow.  

"...I programmed ctrl-alt-x to edit selected caption text, so:

1. Program a keyboard shortcut for "edit selected caption text" (I programmed as ctrl-alt-x)
  2. With playhead in po

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you feel stong about a new feature of fix please post it here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was excited to see that someone else was having the same exact problem that I am experiencing with the new text window for captions.  Then I was disheartened to see that the advice of an "Adobe Community Professional" is to either request a new feature or fix by following a link. 

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to first have the discussion here in this forum to determin the scope of the potential problem?  Like, even one line from a community professional such as yourself stating "this is how it's supposed to work" or "this is not how it's supposed to work" would then give the original poster a guide on whether to report a problem or request a change.   

There's a lot I like about the new captioning workflow, but this default behavior of the text window of defaulting to the very first caption at every mouse click is crazy.  Are others experiencing the same thing?  Can anyone speculate a reason why it might be designed to function like this on purpose?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2021 Mar 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Sadly, it seems that we'll just have to accept that every single video with subtitles is now going to take 20% more time with all that scrolling... Very frustrating! 

I posted the fix proposal as the other user suggested, but this doesn't seem to be a concern for others (no votes): 

Fix that the new captions window automatically scrolls up to the top – Adobe video & audio apps (use... 

Which makes me wonder again, whether this problem appears for everyone. But I doubt we'll get actual technical help here. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another thread here that addressess this issue as well:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/clicking-quot-quot-for-new-caption-text-window-doesn-t-t...

Within that thread I found some info that resulted in a workflow that has significantly sped up my workflow.  

"...I programmed ctrl-alt-x to edit selected caption text, so:

1. Program a keyboard shortcut for "edit selected caption text" (I programmed as ctrl-alt-x)
  2. With playhead in position for new caption, hit ctrl-alt-c
  3. Caption text box is created on timeline and selected
  4. Then hit ctrl-alt-x (or whatever you set as the shortcut) to bring up an edit box in the Program pane.  Program pane is made active after this action
  5. Then I toggle over to my document with the transcript and copy some text
  6. Toggle back to PPro and paste text from clipboard into the Program pane,
  7. Drag length of caption box on timeline to appropriate length, then repeat for next caption.

Using this workflow I never have to interact with the Text window, and therefore never have to deal with it returning to the top all the time.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt, thanks for that workflow. I missed the significance of Trent's "edit" shortcut.

In my still unfinished testing, I wondered if there was a workflow like this that woud avoid the Text Panel. Thanks for confirming!

Your input is very appreciated.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We ACPs are just other users, like you. The reason Joost posted that suggestion was that he knows how Adobe works.

This forum is a user-to-user "peer" support place.  It is not a portal into their systems either to the devlopment team or to the even more important upper staff ... those well above the Program staff, in "M&E" ... marketing and experience. Those are the folks what set engineer priorities, features ... all budgeted items.

The UserVoice system is their portal to the engineers and the M&E people. It goes directly into the engineers, where it is manually logged into their systems by at least one engineer. All postings are collated and sent up the line to M&E.

Weird but it's the way they work. And Joost knows it well. He's a great 'doer' with PrPro, Ae and such, and also a noted teacher of same.

Yea, the captions needs some quick changes and a couple fixes. So discussing is great, especially when that includes links over to UserVoice where we users can go make our wishes known.

And yea, I've already upvoted a number of the captions requests.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your points, and apologize if I came across as needlessly snippy.  However, I do think sometimes the more experienced users who post every day on this forum can forget that less experienced users are looking for solutions to problems they're litereally face-to-face with while they're posting here. 

It's very useful to explain to people that the UserVoice system exists and that it is the way to communicate directly with the engineers, but I think a first response to someone asking "is there a way to fix..." should always be "yes," "no," or "...the problem doesn't happen for me...", followed by pointing at the UserVoice system (if required).  

If someone asks about a problem they're experiencing, an early step of troubleshooting should be to find out if others experience the same thing.  Bypassing that step essentially says, "Tell someone who cares."  

I just think it's worthwhile to keep that in mind as we try to help people troubleshoot their issues on this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I understand. One of the biggest problems with especially a first post in trying to help here is simply not having a clue what the background/experience level of the OP is with the tools they're trying to use. And it isn't just say how experienced one is in editing, as "10 years in 2 different post-houses"  compared to "I've done three vids I posted on Youtube".

It's how experienced the OP is in general, combined with how much experience they have with the specific tool causing their current problem. In my case, I know a ton of the color management/correction process in PrPro, and a fair amount about the graphics. But if you get deep in the weeds on many other tools ... yea, I've used Warp, I know some general practices things ... but I'm not the expert "there".

I can get my audio better ... mostly ... but again, I'm limited there.

The pair of guys what saved my bacon a number of years back when I got into this ... Jim Simon and Craig Walker ("shooternz") ... compared to Joost's post! ... were terse, brief, and blunt. But though they never bothered taking the time to type out empathetic statements, they could give the answer to get you going in a practical manner toot suite.

"But should it work like this?" ... wasn't their thing. They were mainly concerned with getting work out the door today, as-is.

And PrPro's captions have been a total mess in the thoughts of many of us ... the new system is in many ways far better, as a system ... and is totally a "noob" at doing many things that are needed. So yes, discussing what each of us needs for workflows is useful.

But only ... if the notices about what is needed get posted on U-V eventually, in all reality. Whether anyone likes it or not, that's ... Life in the Adobesphere.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Community,

I hate this one too and upvoted. Specific bug to upvote: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42911046-fix-that-the-new-c...

I'll do my best to advocate for the fix.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was absolutely delighted to click on the link Kevin provided and upvote that. And would ask anyone reading this thread, even if you DON'T use captions, to please go upvote that link!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that I was unable to test this sooner, and then just didn't respond....

I get your results. This must be a bug. I am doing further testing, and comparing to the latest public Beta. A bit hard to compare apples to apples...

I upvoted your bug report.

Note that bug reports can be hard for users to find. So posting a link, as you did here, is very good. I point users to them at every opportunity.

Also, file a separate bug report for each problem. Staff DO monitor these. Also, it is easier for users to upvote if they are dealing with single concepts. But here is one I found for editing timecode in the Text Panel.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42918591-editing-caption-ti...

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines