• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capture preview is blank when capturing from DVR

Community Beginner ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, basically I was on my vacation and when I came back to work - nothing worked properly in Adobe Premiere Pro. At first I thought it was a trainee who somehow managed to break everything. But then I figured out it's been an update, that smashed everything. I fixed alot of issues manually, but no luck on this one.

On my daily base I'm working with DV material, basically capturing a video from DV cassettes. Like everything is fine, it's still working, but capture preview is blank when capturing from DVR "Sony DSR-25".
There even is no big capture square when it's set up on "DV", when I set up my device to "HDV" it (capture square) shows up, but not working (daaaa, as my device is DV recorder not HDV and that way there is no signal).

The timecode is ticking over during play or recording and when I finish recording, the clip is fine. Video and audio plays in the Clip window and Project monitor window fine. It just won't show the video in the Capture screen. And that's very important for me, because have to see and sometime write down video details, before montage. I truly don't have spare time to rewatch everything, it's time consuming.

• My capture format is DV (because I use DV recorder "Sony DSR-25").
  • Abort capture on dropped frames is off
  • My device control is DV/HDV Device Control

Before update everything worked just fine.

Maybe you have had this problem already and know some solution. Already tried some - not working.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

After like an 3 weeks chatting and 30 minutes of remote session with Adobe Support agent we discovered that Microsoft Basic Display Driver was causing the problems.

If you have an GTX 1080 and you have the same problem, try to up-date it.
In other hand it's not causing problems on Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2018 Aug 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, John T Smith.

Thanks for your suggestions but I've already tried mentioned examples above. Not working.

But this is not the case. I actually CAN capture videos via firewire using my DVR Sony DSR-25. The thing is, that after recent update the capture window is blank, in fact there is no actual capture screen (square). It's just a grey blank capture window.

I'm ABLE to capture video, but I'm NOT ABLE to monitor capturing video in real-time wich is important for me, cause I have to see/write down notes. I'm able to see/hear captured video afterwards and edit it with no problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which camera was used to make the footage

Cant you use the camera instead of the tape deck

If its SD there is no point in setting the capture window to hdv.

You can capture the entire tape with scene detection on.

After capture play it on the timeline or in the Bridge, make notes and through away the clips you don't want.

I recently captured some hdv did not have a preview window either.

Might want to try Premiere CS6 in capturing your footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Ann Bens!

Video was filmed with Sony HVR-S 270.

I just tried (literally like 20 minutes ago) to capture video using video camera HVR-S 270. Same result. I'm able to capture video, but there is still a blank Capture screen.
Yeah, I know that. I was just checking if it makes any difference, like if capture screen (square) shows up or not.
Tried to capture via camera not only SD, but also HD - same situation. Only difference when switched to HDV the capture screen (only fully black) shows up.

Thanks for your suggestions. I would do so, but I don't have that much time, cause I'm working in television and I have a time limit.
In 6-7 hours I have to capture these videos and edit it. End product must be 30 minutes and News Prime time is at 18:30.

Luckily other two cameras are recording with memory cards.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO, it will be paintfully for me, I just got new PC with Premiere Pro CC. Old PC with old system (CS 5.5) is freezing all the time.

Seems like it's just an Adobe Premiere PRO CC bug. I already filled BUG report. I was just wondering if someone has maybe found a workaround or is dealing with the same problem.

Thanks for your try to help, Ann.
Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 is available through cloud subscription. All you have to use it for is to capture the tape. CS6 might give you preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm. Didn't know about this option. Gonna check it out later.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After like an 3 weeks chatting and 30 minutes of remote session with Adobe Support agent we discovered that Microsoft Basic Display Driver was causing the problems.

If you have an GTX 1080 and you have the same problem, try to up-date it.
In other hand it's not causing problems on Adobe Premiere Pro CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its hdv might want to use: HDVSplit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2022 Dec 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what if i have a DCR-TRV20 what do i do with this same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem in Premiere 2018. I have a black screen after updating.

I have GTX1080. I do not have Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

It captures Canopus ADVC-300 and IEEE1394

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably your main display driver now is Nvidia's GeForce driver.

You need to change/switch it to the "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" and you will get back your capture screen.

I suggest to update a Priemiere Pro CC 2018 to Premiere 2019 version. It will solve the problem also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, but unfortunately I'm on CC 22.4 and it is still not working. So, unfortunately this is no workaround, so I'm not sure why it was marked "Solved."

Anyone else have any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I'm not sure why it was marked "Solved."

Anyone else have any solutions?

By @thxapproved2

Because this thread is two years old, and the solution then was correct.

There is an issue with the new NVIDIA drivers. 
Try a clean installation of the 517.40 Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Definitely not solved and not a driver issue.  This is 100% on Adobe but they don't care to fix it and apparently if they just ignore it long enough it gets marked as solved.  I've just been using other apps to do what I need and I am really liking Davinci Resolve.  I'm hoping to cut the Adobe cord soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I pulled out GTX1080 from PC.

I plugged the monitor into the graphics card on the board Intel HD Graphics 4600.

I've updated the drivers "Microsoft Basic Display Driver" on Intel.

The preview works:)

But when I mounted GTX1080 again, no preview:(((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I'm using 2020 version and it's still an issue.  Yes, I have a 1080 video card, but before the last Adobe update, I wasn't having any issues viewing what I was capturing.  I am capturing HD (Sony PC110 via firewire).  Again, my frustration was that I was using the nvidia driver and wasn't having any problems until upgraded my adobe software.  I did try  using basic driver and this did not help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar problems.  I am trying the 7 day trial of Adobe CC and in this case Premiere Pro 2020.  I have my Sony HVR-1500A connected to my PC via firewire and am attempting to capture some HDV tapes.  I have machine control, and after capturing I have a good clip with audio and video as expected.  However, while capturing I have no video preview in the capture window so I am flying blind until I hit stop and the clip is added to the project window.  Interestingly, I also tried a DVCAM tape in the same tape deck and with that I am not able to use machine control but I have preview video in the capture window along with audio.  Again the final captured clip is fine.  Just no machine control.  I get an error that the machine is not online.

So as a test I tried HDVSplit.  This does the same thing that Premiere 2020 does.  Captured files are fine but a blank preview window while capturing.  Which leads me to believe it is an issue with the video card driver's ability to deal with the HDV video format.  Although that doesn't explain why Premiere 2020 is able to playback the clip after it's captured without an issue.

I am using an RTX Titan Video card with the latest drivers.  I tried the default Windows 10 Driver and get the same result.

I will try a couple things - I'll revert back to an older version of the driver as this sounds like it occurred for others recently after an update.  I also have another older PC with Adobe Production Premium CS6.  I connected my sony deck, launched Premiere Pro CS6 and sure enough HDV capture works fine with a preview.  I installed Premiere Pro CS6 on my newer PC and it does the same thing that Premiere Pro 2020 does - no preview.  So I will try moving the video card from that machine to the newer machine that is running CC and see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 09, 2020 May 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I rolled back my GeForce driver to a version from August and saw the same results.  No Preview in Premiere Pro 2020 & CS6.

I pulled my Radeon HD 6870 from my old PC and installed it in my new one.  Premiere Pro 2020 still had no preview however Premiere Pro CS6 did.  So the card or its driver made a difference at least in Premiere Pro CS6.

Hopefully Adobe is able to figure this out and provide an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2020 May 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems this is an on-going issue that Adobe has not resolved.  I am using a  Board: ASRock X99 WS, GTX- 1080  FTW card and i7-6850k CPU.

I just downloaded the latest 2020 CC trial installer and capturing via Firewire/Sony DSR-1500a DVcam deck.  I am able to capture both video and audio, however, as described above video does not appear in the capture utility preview window, just audio but the file is in the media bin after I have ended the capture.

I am running the latest GEFORCE driver: 446.14

Based on the comments above I have yet to roll back my drivers since it has not worked for other people.  Also, since I may not purchase Premiere Pro if I can't get this working it may be moot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2020 Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

June 2020, *still* an issue.
In my case, DV, GTX 670, all latest drivers. Capture actually works, but no preview.
I'll mess with drivers and CS6 for a bit... but this should not be happening 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2020 Jul 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if you've given up, but I've found a simple solution--assuming you have Windows 10 and are capturing from a camcorder. If so, once you have Premiere open, make sure your camcorder is connected via the Firewire cable, then turn the camcorder on. Once your computer detects the camera, it should make a sound, followed by a message notifying you about a new device--or something like that. If you click the message, it should bring up a window asking you how the device should be used. Click the one that says something like "Record and edit in Premiere Pro." That's what got the capture preview to show up for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2020 Jul 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the post.  I haven't given up but Adobe obviously has.  My PC has no problems seeing the HDV VCR I am using connected via firewire.  It even shows up in Device manager by model name.  And I have no problem controlling the vcr's functions or capturing audio and video via the capture window.  All work fine  The problem is that the video preview screen during capture is black and nothing seems to fix it.  Luckily my vcr has a small LCD display on the front that allows me to see what I'm capturing.  It's just absurd that Adobe can't get this simple functionality to work in their very expecnsive software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I couldn't help. And, for what it's worth, you're right--Adobe need's to get their act together. Before I found my solution, I tried googling it and found so many people with the same problem, but many of them had fixes that were unique to them for some reason--like me. I don't know if you've tried this already, but this guy may have another potential solution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dj61ZzJf2U

Best of luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2020 Jul 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see the option in my version of Windows 10 Pro for the setting he describes so Microsoft must have removed it.  Or perhaps since my monitor does not support HDR it doesn't show up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines