• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Capturing DV been removed?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 15, 2019 Oct 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the latest version of premiere pro as of 15th October 2019 and it seems the option to capture DV footage has been removed. I wonder if anyone knows if this is a bug or if this feature is gone for good. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019
O.k, Catalina is most definitely the issue here. More here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can capture DV in that version. What happens if you go to File > Capture?

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option for DV isn’t there. Only HDV. When I install older versions the DV option returns but doesn’t work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you click the Edit button, does DV appear in that dialog?

clipboard_image_0.png

If not, try this: FAQ: How to reset (trash) preferences in Premiere Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option isn't there. Even after resetting preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 16, 2019 Oct 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.k, then i would have un-installed Premiere Pro and then installed it again. Resetting the Preferences often do the trick but when even that fails, un-install and re-install do the trick most of the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did exactly that and still the same. It’s so strange it’s disappeared, especially as it’s one of the features I use the most in premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows or Mac?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac, and I’ve just updated to the latest OS - Catalina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

O.k, Catalina is most definitely the issue here. More here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right, thank you for all your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to ask the obvious: Do you have a capture card (firewire) in your comp?

clipboard_image_0.png

clipboard_image_0.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using FireWire to capture yes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have a capture card (firewire) in your comp?

I don´t have a FireWire card and those alternatives shows up even when a FW-card is not present. I am on Windows 10 and not OSX Catalina. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey OP,

Were you able to find a solution or workaround for this? Currently in the exact same boat!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2019 Nov 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not. I'm keeping my hopes up for an update to fix it soon. 

In the mean time I'm using media composer since I have access to it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update on them figuring out a solution to DV capturing not being availible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of the 23rd, I don't think a workaround exists. This has been a big problem for me specifically; I'm capturing from a Panasonic DVX100 over firewire, and it says that the "Wrong Input Format" is chosen when HDV is the only option (and, oddly, the correct option for this camera) in the drop down. Before Catalina, this wasn't an issue. I can control the camera from the capture panel but nothing plays in the preview. Hopefully they update soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just run into the same issue with the lastest Premiere Pro only showing HDV import on Catalania (to which I upgraded to be able to install Premiere Pro in the first place!).

However, DV import works fine with iMovie on the very same machine. So it really can't be a general macOS issue - it is specific to Premiere Pro.

Being an Adobe employee, I'll check with colleagues working on Premiere Pro on this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was actually struggling with getting my footage to import into iMovie as
well.
--
Maryangel Jimenez
[personal info deleted by mod, forum policy]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any update. Really need this feature 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apologies. Unfortunately, a key framework has been discontinued starting from MacOS with Catalina. Engineering says that adding back the feature requires non-trivial investment to migrate to the current framework.

Please upvote this feature request (https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-ideas/reinstate-dv-capture-to-premiere-pro/idi-p/1351560...).

That would help! I am so sorry for the frustration.

Mod note: Edited for content

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2020 Feb 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. I appreciate you looking into this. It would be really great if the feature could be re implimented, there is still a lot of desire to use older, tape based formats, so personally,  I think Adobe would be missing out if it decides to remove DV importing all together. I will utilise the User Voice platform, so thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2023 Jan 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apple is very "planned obsolescence" based, and also very into the idea of pushing people away from formats that they don´t control and into streaming services that they can grift from. That´s why they never natively supported bluray etc, so one can be hoodwinked into their apple itunes streaming platforms. So the same with DV, they drop it so you move on to, conveniently, a new cloud based, video editing and streaming service from apple.

If only Adobe worked with Linux, butn they too, have their agenda.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines