• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2020 (and 2019) dropping frames and stuttery playback (RTX 3090)

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Threadripper 1920x 12-core 3.5GHz

64 GB ram

RTX 3090

Dedicated media NVM.e Samsung 970 evo

9 times out of 10, playback is suboptimal. If I switch workspaces, sometimes it fixes it but it's a temporary fix that only last til the playback stops.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

I finally had a day to do a clean install. First thing I did was install creative cloud. Loaded up some media, plays fine. Ok, resolved, yay. But I wanted to see what happened. So I installed each app one by one to see if there was any conflicts or if it was just a weird bug when I switched my GPU. When I installed Dropbox, premiere started dropping frames and doing the micro stutter thing. I also notice that in windows in general, you can notice micro stutters in the mouse. Bummer cause I use D

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

J,

Sorry. Have you updated NVIDIA drivers over the past day or two? If not, try it and report back.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the latest studio driver 461.40

Windows 10 Version 20H2

Premiere Version 2020 14.8.0 (Build 39)

Audio Hardware is set to 'no input'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test your computer to find out how well it will work
https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/PugetBench-for-Premiere-Pro-1519/
-Benchmark test program available for Premiere Pro CC2019 and CC2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PugetBench results within 2020 gave me a score of 729

Processor

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core Processor

Video Card

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 (27.21.14.6140)

Memory

64GB (8x8GB) 2400MHz

Motherboard

ASRock X399 Taichi (P3.30)

Operating System

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (19042)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Following the suggestion of basil1891, I unchecked enable gsync in the nVidia control panel and even though playback is still choppy, the benchmark went up to 744.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen this with slow media. How fast is the drive that's storing the footage and what is the bitrate on the footage?

Try moving the media to your fastest drive, SSD is great but a good 7200RPM drive will work for a lot of footage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the media on a Samsung SSD NVM.e 970 EVO Plus 2tb and have also tried on the 960 EVO 1tb. Both are incredibly fast drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current project I'm working on (although I've had the same problem with a variery of media) is 1920 x 1080 Prores LT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those are definitely fast enough. The next thing I'd look at is the drive hosting your Premiere project cache files but I'm guessing that's also pretty quick? This is assuming you're already checking the things the others are talking about, drivers and such.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, also quick drives. I have the 960 handling the cache / project and the 970 handling the media. I've also tried with media and project on the same drive. No difference in playback performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On one disk I'm benchmarking 1995 MB/sec write and 2688 MB/sec read and on the other 3070 MB/sec write and 2941 MB/sec read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this, even though the monitor is freesync and not Gsync. Gsync was enabled by default so I shut it off. Unfortunately, still choppy / stuttery playback. My PugetBench score did go up afterwards (for what it's worth).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this be a Windows/ProRes issue?

Maybe a shot in the dark but try switching to OpenGL in the Project settings.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 9.03.21 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Valid question. I have switched between the two in trying to solve this issue and still have dropped frames and playback issues regardless of which option I choose. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, can verify this is across codecs, not just Prores. And this is only a problem in Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see this a lot with AMD CPUs and Nvidia GPUs. I know a lot of AMD motherboards do a lot better with a BIOS update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will definately look into this when my current project ends. I didn't have these issues with my previously less powerful card that was the Vega 64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to the latest BIOS for my motherboard and the problem is still there, albeit slightly worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you running for Audio Output device?  

I was having serious playback issues as well with a Ryzen 7 and RTX3080.  I switched from my Audio Interface to outputing audio through my motherboard output, and playback is buttery smooth.  I just did this yesterday.

It is A PROBLEM, and not a long term solution, but it is what allowed me to get my work done yesterday.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going through motherboard output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does your monitor have speakers? I'd try switching to another audio source and see if it makes a difference.  I know this is a stupid thing, I just know it worked for me yesterday so its the only suggestion I have.  I'm rather pissed about it as my monitor speakers sound awful and my headphones don't sound as good plugged into my motherboard directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a completely logical question. I played around a lot with the audio settings. Setting input to no input helped. As did switching from what I used to have (a virtual audio device) to the motherboard audio. The virtual audio device used to work no problem. It's when the new GPU came into the mix that Premiere started acting up. Now, I've tested, benchmarked and used the GPU in other software with no problems and it's running wonderfully. It's Premiere that's not playing nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My problem started before I upgraded to the RTX 3080 (I upgraded BECAUSE of the problem).  I hear you though.  Everything works flawlessly for me everywhere else, just Premiere that doesn't play nicely.  Granted aside from 3D Design work in Fusion, Premiere is the place I spend the majority of my time to notice problems.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines