• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CC 2020 (and 2019) dropping frames and stuttery playback (RTX 3090)

Explorer ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Threadripper 1920x 12-core 3.5GHz

64 GB ram

RTX 3090

Dedicated media NVM.e Samsung 970 evo

9 times out of 10, playback is suboptimal. If I switch workspaces, sometimes it fixes it but it's a temporary fix that only last til the playback stops.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

I finally had a day to do a clean install. First thing I did was install creative cloud. Loaded up some media, plays fine. Ok, resolved, yay. But I wanted to see what happened. So I installed each app one by one to see if there was any conflicts or if it was just a weird bug when I switched my GPU. When I installed Dropbox, premiere started dropping frames and doing the micro stutter thing. I also notice that in windows in general, you can notice micro stutters in the mouse. Bummer cause I use D

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/cc-2020-and-2019-dropping-frames-and-stuttery-playback-r...

He's said, "The current project I'm working on (although I've had the same problem with a variery of media) is 1920 x 1080 Prores LT."

It might be useful to have more info about both the sequence settings and the source media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Source media is Alexa footage. Frame rate is 23.976

Sequence setting is Custom, 1920x1080 23.976, Square Pixels, I-Frame Only MPEG Preview file format. This is the default when making 'New Sequence from Clip'

I've also used the ARRI 1920x1080 settting as well.

I've worked with many projects with these settings and it has not been an issue. Also, seeing how this same exact project has worked before the new card and works on other computers, I don't believe the issue lies here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just curious if you ever figured this out. I am experiencing the same issues:

i9 10900k

RTX3090

64gb Ram

Video feeding from SSD

Drivers are up to date.

GSync on monitor is off

Using Display Port 1.4

It was actually working fine since I installed and then yesterday began with the choppiness. Not sure if you found anything that might help.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GSync on monitor is off - make sure it's off in NVidia control panel too.

Also try to reset workspace, Window > Workspaces > Reset to saved layout 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I guess one of the main issues was the Media Cache Database. I was unaware that is to be cleared from time to time. 

I had verified Gsync - but did not think to rest workspace. Appreciate the tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well appears this was a temp fix. Still no dice on this.

cleared all the caches

reset workspace

gysnc disabled

drivers up to date

not sure what else to try when everything was working fine just a few days ago???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have any VFR (variable framerate) source on the timeline? Things like mobile video, zoom, screen recording, any internet downloads, etc. Use MediaInfo tool to check. If so - convert those files to CFR (constant framerate). You can use Handbrake converter for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use mostly gopro footage. Music is purchased/downloaded and stored locally. I'm an amateur and just getting started and ideally want to work with different capturing formats. I purchased a rig that should have no problem running premier. 

I will look into converting the file formats. Do you convert both video and audio formats when using handbrake?

If I slow down or speed up footage and effects, I'm assuming using the CFR should help things run smoother?

Thanks for the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally had a day to do a clean install. First thing I did was install creative cloud. Loaded up some media, plays fine. Ok, resolved, yay. But I wanted to see what happened. So I installed each app one by one to see if there was any conflicts or if it was just a weird bug when I switched my GPU. When I installed Dropbox, premiere started dropping frames and doing the micro stutter thing. I also notice that in windows in general, you can notice micro stutters in the mouse. Bummer cause I use Dropbox in my workflow on occasion. I uninstalled it and performance improved (but didn't go back to no dropped frames again). Two days after having Dropbox uninstalled, started working again with no dropped frames, no stutter. I'm not saying that'll be the solution for all, but that's what worked for me. Thanks everyone for all the help trying to solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome. Thanks for taking the time to so thoroughly diagnose this AND report back!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep finding that if I work on a project, step away and my computer sleeps (Desktop PC/WindowOS), then next time I open premiere I see the stuttering. Only solution every time is to shut down PC completely and then restart. It's annoying, but at least I can work on projects. Sometimes it will still get choppy unless media file caches are not deleted. Seems odd as my computer is built to run this program extremely smoothly. I may go the route of uninstalling everything to see if I can pinpoint a program, but it really should not be the case. Good luck to you though and thanks for follow up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I'm still having occasionally issues as well, such as the one you mentioned. Lots of restarts to get it to work sometimes. Turns out dropbox was part of the problem but not the only problem. Looks to be a conflict between our hardware, windows and premiere pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Been there before, that's a good way to test if you're really are at your end point as is. I just ordered a new nvme, (280) as my windows install is about 4 years old now. I don't want to just reformat the c: drive, so I'll put the new one in, install Windows and use the old c: as a data drive  - keeping it's Windows so I can boot from it later if need be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines