CEA-708 Closed Captions export issue

New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read many forum posts about this issue and none of them quite ask what my issue is. I know that most export formats don't support embeding captions into the video but the option is available for Apple ProRes. My closed captions have to be CEA-708 closed captions exported as either .scc or .xml. Since Premiere doesn't have an export option for .scc I keep trying to embed or even get burnt in captions for .xml with no luck. 

This is an older project from Premiere Pro 2017 and there I can't even get the captions to show up in the export preview window, but in PP 2020 they do at least show up. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 4.51.44 PM.png

When I export it, the captions aren't burnt in and when trying the "Embed in Ouput File" I get no option to turn them on in Quicktime or VLC. 

Has anyone dealt with this issue for broadcast and knows how to fix it in Premiere?

Or, has someone found another way to get the final embeded file in another software?

TOPICS
Error or problem, Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

combat,

.scc and .xml are export formats for captions. Those file types are not really relevant when you "embed" the caption stream from PR. Embed means the caption stream is in the actual file, not a sidecar and not burned in.

So when you say, "My closed captions have to be CEA-708 closed captions exported as either .scc or .xml." that is not an embed. That is a closed caption stream exported as a sidecar. 

BUT, according to information linked in this thread, PR never embedded 708 in Quicktime:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/output-both-608-and-708-closed-captions-in-quicktime-fil...

And, no, I did not see a solution in that thread or since.

So, yes, I think you must export sidecar and use some other tool to embed the captions in the Quicktime file.

I'd talk to the broadcast end user and see what they suggest.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more