• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CFR or VFR : Does it matter if you use music for your video ?

Community Beginner ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone !

I'm a new user of PP and I'd like to create a short movie using footage of ancient films I have on my computer. A part of them are VFR according to Media Info, and I read that it could be a problem when editing since the audio could be desynchronized with the video. But since I won't be using the audio of the original video and add some music over it instead, does it matter if this footage is VFR ? Will I have trouble getting the video and audio synchronized ? I'd like to know before really working on that project.

Thanks a lot for your help.

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Premiere will interprete the footage with the given framerate which is not a standard framerate.

You won't notice this in the timeline.

The export will be with a standard constant framerate resulting either the video going either slower or faster then the audio.

You need to test this for yourself to understand the concept.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may still be an issue.

Other issues may arise as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may still be an issue.

Other issues may arise as well.

By @Peru Bob

Like what kind of issues ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know before really working on that project.

By @Rémi5C95

Trial and error. The Best way especially if you are new to PP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be interested to know why it could be an issue. The video varies in terms of frame rate, okay, but since the music doesn't come from the video and just plays along with it, how can the two be desyncronized when I export?

I'm sorry if it is obvious, I just try to understand it all.

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere will interprete the footage with the given framerate which is not a standard framerate.

You won't notice this in the timeline.

The export will be with a standard constant framerate resulting either the video going either slower or faster then the audio.

You need to test this for yourself to understand the concept.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Ann and PeruBob ... we've all had much experience personally and "on here" with VFR media. It's unpredictable at best, period. It might work. Many of my Samsung S9 files will work, but a few will not. So I do the obvious time/frustration saver, and simply batch-convert to CFR using the free utility app, HandBrake.

Then I know it will all work as expected first time every time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay great, thank you for your advice, I'll use Handbrake then.

One more thing though, I used MediaInfo to check the frame rate of several files but for some of them MediaInfo does not indicate if they are VFR or CFR. It says how many frames per second, for example 25/s but doesn't say more. Should I consider those films as CFR then ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Peru Bob said it all.

I just wanted to comment, I found another free program that is really excellent - Shutter Encoder - and I like it much more than Handbrake, (I have no connection to either). Check this out I think the interface is nicer, and it produces ProRes, Cineform and DNxHD/HR. Plus many other options and even downloads online vidoes. Check it, it's sweet. 🙂

https://www.shutterencoder.com/en/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just watched the video ... thanks for posting, MyerPj ... gonna try that out myself.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines