Highlighted

Changes to Q/W trim feature making it not usable for me.

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be, until 2 months ago, that on pressing q/w the clip selected would delete from the start/end to where the playhead was.

So I could take audio, video, with multiple tracks, and on one specific track decide to "delete everything before this".

However now, it does that, and moves the clip left, to where the start point was before, shifting everything out of sync, AND it creates cuts on ALL tracks.....

I basically have to use the red arrow drag with mouse technique now, which is MUCH slower.

There's probably a setting somewhere to set it to the old behaviour, but I can't find it anywhere.

Can someone help?  Why are there not lots of people shouting about this?

Thanks

Dave

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Changes to Q/W trim feature making it not usable for me.

Contributor ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It used to be, until 2 months ago, that on pressing q/w the clip selected would delete from the start/end to where the playhead was.

So I could take audio, video, with multiple tracks, and on one specific track decide to "delete everything before this".

However now, it does that, and moves the clip left, to where the start point was before, shifting everything out of sync, AND it creates cuts on ALL tracks.....

I basically have to use the red arrow drag with mouse technique now, which is MUCH slower.

There's probably a setting somewhere to set it to the old behaviour, but I can't find it anywhere.

Can someone help?  Why are there not lots of people shouting about this?

Thanks

Dave

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 08, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you get something changed like this, it's a good idea to simply look through the preferences options. Have you tried changing the options selected in the Preferences/Trim dialogue, and see what happens?

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I tried them, and it doesn't affect this issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check your track targeting, just have the one lit up that you want to target for the q/w.

MyerPj_0-1604858995162.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 08, 2020 0
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing targetting for each edit is quite a pain compared to the process I had before.  I thought that q/w were very common editing tools, so I am surprised there's not more noise about this, which makes me think it's not like this for everyone...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Q/W regularly, and they work just as expected for me. And with the modifier keys, Alt and Shift, they can basically do all sorts of edits.

Check your keyboard shortcuts, or test them with modifier keys, see what works for you.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0
wcn_dave LATEST
Contributor ,
Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Choosing which tracks to target made no impact.  All were affected.

I have never changed these keyboard shortcuts from the detaults.

shift and ctrl+alt have different descriptions, (Extend previous edit to playhead, and Trim previous edit to playhead), but did the same thing

trim to end with w doesn't trim to the end, it trims as much as the shortest track...

The command for q is "go to in point", "ripple trim previous edit to playhead".

I don't know what the go to in point is for, as it doesn't

I also think I expect a trim, not ripple trim.

In any case, something has changed, and I guess I will have to custom create all my shortcuts to match the behaviour it had.

These shortcuts can take up more time than they save!

Thanks for trying to help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 09, 2020 0