Choppy playback and rendering with H.265 footage from a Mavic Pro 2

New Here ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video from my Mavic Pro 2 plays back normally when I review it through VLC. However, when I import it into Premier Pro, it is very choppy. Additionally, if I export it with Premier Pro, the exported video is also choppy even in VLC and other programs.

The video is 4k, 24 fps, in H.265 recorded with a Mavic Pro 2.

The computer is a custom build with a AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, a Nvidia 1660, 32 GB of ram, and Windows 10 Home. All drivers are up to date.

TOPICS
Export, Performance

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may see the usual responses of using proxies for large frame size footage, that may be an option for you. As for your drivers, you should post what they are instead of noting they are the latest. There are some wizards on here that know exactly which versions of drivers are best. For the export, you should post what you exported as to help understand why VLC now doesn't play it efficiently. The more info the better!

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First and foremost manually clear media cache - go to cache location and clean/delete folders: Media Cache, Media Cache Files, PTX, Peak Files. If not help - try to turn off Hardware accelerated Decoding in Preferences > Media... Remember to clear media cache each time you change this settings, also after any app/driver update as well.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, if you want the best editing performance, transcode the media. H.264 and H.265 are very processor intensive formats, so your processor has to work hard in the first place because it is 4k, then even harder because the Codec is very processor intensive. Is it possible? Yes. Will you be happier if you take the time to transcode the footage into something like ProRes that is much easier to edit with? Most likely.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issues. My original files are 4K60p H.265 from a Mavic 2 Air. Playback was choppy and tended to freeze sometimes. Then I bought two M.2 SSD's. One to store source files and one for renders. On the timeline at 1/2 resolution, the native files will play fine with no dropped frames. If I add any effects, that will show some slight lagging. It doesn't mean it's perfect. Proxies or transcoding is probably more preferable.

This issue reminds me of when HD AVC files were first being used in solid state cameras a decade ago. Those generally wouldn't play nice on our NLE's at the time. I had to transcode AVC into a Cineform version, which meant huge file sizes. But as NLE's improved and processors got better, it eventually became easy to edit native AVC on the timeline without transcoding. I suspect that's how it will be with H.265.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines