Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy Playback Even With Proxies

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2021 Jun 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Community,

Well, I've read some posts here on the same issue, but still can't pin point the exact issue, although I'm thinking maybe its a result of different frame rates.

I'm not a professional editor, but I've been working on a music video of mine, which has combined a lot of footage from everywhere. Three main cameras to shoot the band (RED CAMERA shot in 4K, Canon and a Sony all shot 1920 x 1080 and all at 23.976 fps). Plus a collection of over 200 random videos in different resolutions and frame rates ranging form 23.98 to 60.00. My sequence is at 1920 x 1080 becuase 90% of footage is shot in 1080 or 720.

Created proxies for everything in my sequence because of choppy playback. Created a custom proxy setting (Cineform 1280x720) based on a YouTube video, which took forever. Believe it or not its worse than without proxies. While not using proxies, it can sometimes go without issues from beginning to end, 5 minutes total, with slight lag, usually in the 4K shots. But when proxy is on, its a nightmare. I haven't even put effects to the clips aside for some scaling adjustments, because I can't view a simple beginning to end flow of the video and can't properly guage where a specific effect needs to go. Quite frustrating as you can imagine.

Is this simply a frame rate issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Premeire Pro 15.2

OS Mojave

2.6 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 8GB

Graphics Intel Iris 1536 MB

TOPICS
Editing , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think its more a matter of horse power.

How did you make the proxy files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback Ann.

I was thinking it might be a horsepower issue and been debating upgrading my Late 2014 Mac Mini to a newer one.

In regard to proxy files, I created them by creating first an encoding preset in Media Encoder, Format -> Quicktime ->GoPro Cineform YUV 10-Bit (Audio/Video Checked). Basic Video Settings - > Quality 1 -> Width 1280 Height 720, Frame Rate -> 23.976, Field Order -> Progressive, Aspect -> 1:0 (square pixels), Render at maximum depth not selected, Depth -> YUV 10-bpc, "Use max render quaity" unchecked, Effects -> I added an image overlay to distinuish between proxies and original.

Then created ingest preset: Transfer-> checked "Transcode files to destination"

Format - > Quicktime, Preset -> The one I created

Then in PP, I created the proxies of all my footage by selecting the ingesting preset I just created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The proxies look ok. Still think it's a matter of horsepower (i5, 8 gig and no dedicated GPU).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will definitely consider this. Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines