Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy playback with ProRes 422 proxies at 1/8 quality

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm having a hard time achieving smooth playback when using proxies in Premier Pro CC 2021. I want to preface this by saying I'm not super experienced with computer hardware/software so it's possible I'm missing something simple.

I recently upgraded to a 2017 13 inch MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB) and hoped this would resolve all my performance issues (after editing on a 2009 MacBook for the last 5 years).

I mostly work with Sony A7s II footage (4K XAVC-S 4:2:0 8 bit 100mbps 25fps) which performs well, only occasionally having to drop playback resolution or pre-rendering.

My latest project was shot on the Sony FS7 (4K XAVC-I 4:2:2 10 bit 250mbps 25fps) and I quickly realised I’d need to generate proxies. 

I wanted to create my own encoding/ingest preset and decided GoPro Cineform codec after reading some forums (1280x720 Quality 1) but playback was still choppy. So I created ProRes 422 proxies (1280x720 Quality 100) but got the same result. All the proxy media was linked correctly to the source footage and was enabled in the monitor window.

After attempting to troubleshoot I finally managed to get consistently smooth playback with a new batch of ProRes proxies and was able to scrub through the timeline fast and easily make cuts and transitions. However last night I imported a new clip and started to experience the same issues as before. I'm baffled.

I'm aware it's a complex problem with lots of possible solutions so I'd like to list what I've tried so far:

• Cleared space on my Mac leaving around 200GB free
  • Updated my Mac to Big Sur version 11.2.3
  • Updated Premier Pro to version 15.0
  • Updated Media Encoder to version 15.0
  • Disconnected all proxy media then re-attached it
  • Deleted all proxy media and generated it again
  • Created a new project and imported all footage into it
  • Ingested footage with Media Browser inside Premier Pro but was unable to create proxies directly as the presets don't support 8 channel audio from the FS7
  • Created proxies with different codecs (GoPro Cineform, ProRes 422, H.264)
  • Lowered playback quality down to 1/8
  • Checked the 'enable proxies' button is enabled
  • Edited directly off my Mac screen without connecting to my 27 inch LG 4K IPS monitor
  • Cleared Premier Pro cache
  • Changed Premier Pro preferences (system defaults, reserved RAM, etc.)

The problem comes and goes when it wants. I managed to edit half the project fine now I'm back to square one. The new clip I used was from a different camera card but had the same proxy settings, plus I'd already used footage from that card in the edit before. All my media is kept on an external 4TB harddrive and edited on an external monitor.

Not sure if I've explained things very well or if more information is needed. Any help would be much appreciated. I've attached screen grabs of my encoding/ingest settings for reference.

Thanks,
Sonni

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Freeze or hang , Import , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check these

0) Preferences > Audio Hardware > Default Input => select "No Input"

1) Reset workspace: Window > Workspaces > Reset to saved layout 

2) (MacOS Retina 2x) Premiere Pro 2020 Choppy / Stuttering Playback... - Page 6 - Adobe Support Communi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you,

Changing the preferences seemed to work for a while but didn't lasted long. I was editing the project for about half an hour, inserted a new clip into the sequence and it immediately made the whole timeline choppy again.

cmd-z to remove the clip and timeline is still choppy, rendered the timeline- still choppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to Manually clear media cache - close Adobe PP/AE/ME, go to cache location and clean/delete folders: Media Cache, Media Cache Files, PTX, Peak Files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sonni,

I always recommend resetting Adobe folder permissions any time you update macOS rather than erase and install. I outline the process on my blog: http://www.kevinmonahan.net/?p=14

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines