• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Choppy Playback

Explorer ,
Dec 24, 2020 Dec 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recently upgraded my ram from 16gb to 32gb. I upgraded my motherboard to handle the threading and I still have choppy playback. I went through a few threads but nothing is really working. This is what I have for my pc.

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700F CPU @ 3.00GHz, 3000 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB

I currently have 28gbs allocated to PP and other adobe products. I also have a NVIDA GEFORCE GTX 1070

I read that my monitors might play a role as well. Both my monitors are at the recommended settings (1920x1080) 60 Hz with an 8bit depth.

I already fixed the audio before with a different issue, but this is something else. Any thoughts?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About a week ago someome had similar issue apparently caused by latest Nvidia driver. The solution was a roll back to October release. If not help, likely you'll have to use proxy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think proxies are what I would have to do. I'll try to do the roll back too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2020 Dec 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What format/codec are you working with? How many drives are you using, and what type? What effects are you using?

All three are crucial.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil,

Format: DV NTSC

Codec: MP4

Before changing the Timebase, it was at 60 fps. I changed it to 30 to get a smoother playback which helped some but at certain parts, it continues to drop frames. Should I try to use a different format? One that would fit 1920x1080 at 60fps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes ya gotta go with what works.

For some rigs & workflows, doing transcodes to an intraframe codec like Cineform (or ProRes or DNxHD/R) to edit, then dumping the t-codes when done (you can recreate them if you go back to that project) is the wiser choice. Just to get work done.

Higher pixel counts like 4K increase computer load. Higher fps counts increase computer load. Long-GOP media increases computer load.

Depending on what your gear can handle, you can choose to fight it constantly, or simply do a bit of initial setup for projects so  the work actually flows and gets done.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. I will play around with the codec and see what works with the footage I have. So far lowering it to 30fps has fixed a lot of choppy playbacks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matthew,

Chiming in here: your footage info is a little confusing. DV NTSC uses the DV codec, and it's 720x480. Mp4 is the container/wrapper, though usually DV files are wrapped as .MOV, or occasionaly .DV. How were these clips ingested? Also if you're enlarging from 480 to 1080 on yout timeline that could be another clue to the issue; any time you scale media you force your computer to work harder than if you worked at the native frame size.

WM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I was wondering about that too. These were recorded by a third party, so the footage I was given is MP4s. I create a sequence using the clip so I would assume that it would set up on the correct codec and not something completely different, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use a tool like MediaInfo to inspect your source footage. Then set up a Pr sequence to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MPEG4 uses H.264/265 video codecs. Some variatons of H.264/265 even at 720 X 480 resolution might be hard to playback. Do other video files playback OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah? I wonder why. Yes, but only on half of my projects so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines