• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clip in timeline only visible while playing or scrubbing. NOT when paused. Won't export.

Contributor ,
May 04, 2020 May 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PremierePro2020 14.1.0

I imported a clip (1920x1080 .MOV) that I believe came from an iPhone.  Plays fine in the timeline when playing or scrubbing but when I hit the spacebar to pause/stop, it disappears.  Play or scrub again and it is fine.  The clip appears ok in the timeline but does not appear in the program monitor or source monitor.  It will not export.  The .mov file plays fine in another player. (See attached)

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

try converting the files to a constant frame rate using handbrake

https://handbrake.fr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First try a restart. Then trash your preferences and clear your media cache. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this identical issue recently Same thing... iphone video... disappears from program monitor when not playing... missing from the export. I don't remember exactly what or where I read it, but somehow I tripped to the fact that it had to do with the variable frame rate. I transcoded it with AME and dropped it back in... solved for me.

I know that Premiere does support VFR, but I believe even the documentation warns that results are not guaranteed. I think they do suggest converting to constant frame rate whenever possible, or if something isn't working. I'm not an expert as to why this is, but it helps to be aware of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't work.  Tried several export variations.  MP4, MOV, changing fps, etc.  In AME it flashes "Media exporting: Preview not available" or something like that.  Preview window is black and blank video exported.  Sound OK.  I've imported about 60 of these files from students, most are iPhones and only one does this.  Currupt file?  Everyone including me can view it outside Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try converting the files to a constant frame rate using handbrake

https://handbrake.fr

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 06, 2020 May 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Handbrake did it!

Does this mean "Frame Rate" in AME does NOT convert to constant frame rate?  This did not work in AME.

Also, Handbrake was set to "MP4" and "H.264" but file extension was ".m4v".  Does that matter?

Steve221_0-1588772890260.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's your system specs, Steve?

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HP Z840. Xeon E5-2650.  32 Gb RAM  NVIDEA GTX 1080

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I first read one of Ann Breen's posts about using Handbrake to fix this issue, I didn't believe that AME wouldn't fix it.  I ran a test and if I remember correctly, although it did seem to convert to a constant frame rate, the audio was seriously screwed up.    EditReady (a utility that costs) will also fix and will allow you to convert to a more robust format like prores.

Handbrake does a good job, but to maintain the best quaity, make sure the quality slider is set to the maximum in the video settings.   Don't think the file extension is an issue but can't speak with any authority on this..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!! Your solution worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

and thanks for posting that my post helped...  Instead of wading thru the whole thread, people can at least try a solution that worked for someone...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines