Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

clip misinterepreted by PP so silent audio is track

Explorer ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

A 360 clip from GoPro Max clip converted to 5.6K Cineform is imported into a project on my main box. No sound. Checking the clips properties I see Sample Size as 16 bits.

On my laptop I tried importing EXACTLY the same file into a project. Here it works, and I get Format = 24 bit - stereo. There's a few other differences in the properties dialog box.

There's clearly something messed up on my main box, but I have no idea how to fix it.

I tried uninstalling Premiere Pro and reinstalling. Made no difference.

Any ideas?

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you running the same verison of PP and are they both the same OS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your interest.

Both have PP version 14.5.0 (Build 51) and both running Windows 10 Pro.

One machine is running Win10 Pro version 2004, the other 1909, but problem manitested itself before update to version 2004 in October. I first noticed the problem in June, so I doubt the difference in versions (1909 vs 2004) is a clue to solving the problem.

Could there be some codec installed that I need to remove in order for the file to be read correctly in PP?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt the OS version is the culprit and Cineform should be decoded natively in PP so you shouldn't need any codec installs. Was the file brought in via the Media Browser or straight into the Project panel? It might be worth clearing the media cache on one or both machines and bringing it in fresh to see if it changes on either machine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks again for your input.

Without exception I always bring media into projects right clicking in the Project window, and selecting "Import...". Never use the Media Browser. 

I have cleared the media cache on both machine and one small interesting thing happened. On the problematic machine PP actually tried to create a peak file. I had a moment of optimism, but still the same result: The audio is silent.

I also tried renaming %AppData&\Roaming\Adobe\Common to something else, thus PP recreating it. Didn't help either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no wiser, but exploring if Apple software is the culprit. Found out there was an old installation of Quicktime 7 on the problematic machine. Uninstalled it, but no luck. 

Long shot but maybe the following will ring a bell with someone. The following two screenshots are the exact same file, but imported into Premiere on two different machines.

Here properties for from the good laptop where the file plays well, but is way too slow to be workable:

Screenshot 2020-11-26 131927.png

And here's a screenshot from the box where there's no sound.

Screenshot 2020-11-26 125834.png

Interestingly, not only is the sound different, but on the problematic box framerate is 30 whereas it is 29.97 on the box where there's sound.

Anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's the full set of properties from the working laptop

File Path: C:\Users\Torbe\Documents\gopro max conversion\360\GS010014.mov
Type: QuickTime Movie 
File Size: 1.70 GB
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 29.97
Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - Compressed - Stereo
Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - Stereo
Total Duration: 00:00:30:26
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None

QuickTime Details:
Movie contains 1 video track(s), 1 audio track(s), 0 closed caption track(s), and 0 timecode track(s).

Video:
There are 926 frames with a duration of 1601/48000ths.

Video track 1:
Duration is 0:00:49:14
Average frame rate is 29.98 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
Frame Size = 3840 x 2160
Compressor = CineForm HD
Quality = Least (1.00)

Audio:
Audio track 1 contains 1 type(s) of audio data:

Audio data block #1:
Format = 24 bit - Stereo
Rate = 48000 Hz
Compressor = mp4a

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines