• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clip order not preserved when dragging or copying storyboard from Freeform View to Timeline panel

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love to be able to preserve the order of my clips in the Freeform tool grid when moving the storyboard I create in there to the Timeline panel. Currently, when multiple clips are dragged or copy/pasted from the Freeform view to the Timeline Panel they are being reorganized based off of their file name. Seems like a design flaw so I would love to hear if someone has found a work around to solve this. Does anyone use the Freeform view to create storyboards? How do you transfer than information to the timeline? I am currently dragging each shot over individually to preserve the order. Pasting my process below for reference, using mac and pc.

1. I use the Freeform view to create a storyboard out of my clips by arranging them in the order I would like them in. See pic #1. The cascading columns of clips are for alternative clip options to be decided later in editing.
  2. I set in and out points for each clip and delete the trash.
  3. I align clips to grid. See pic #2
  4. I select all the clips in my Freeform grid storyboard and drag and drop them into the timeline panel. The clip order I created in the Freeform view grid is lost and the clips are reorganized base on file name. See pic #3 

pic 1.png

 

pic 2.png

 

pic 3.png

 

[Moderator note: please drag/drop all images directly into the text area of your reply box, do not make other users download strange files to their computer to see your post completely. I fixed this for you in this post or it might tend to get ignored.]

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Dylan,

I have also been in this state before. I expect the visual sort order in the bin should be the same order as the Timeline. Left to right. Top to bottom. Try this: Shift select them in the order you want them to be in the bin, and then overwrite them into the Timeline. This might be a slightly different technique than you'd expect. Premiere Pro is just different than other NLEs in a few unexpected ways. I think that's what is going on here. Does that work for you? 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your grid isn't visually 'sensible' to me ... I make clips in order in a line across the freeform screen, then a line below if needed. Click the first clip of the group, then marquee-select the group, right-click "New sequence from clip" ... and I get a sequence in the order I laid them out in.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply and the tip about "new sequence from clip".  I gave that a try with a test bin of 4 clips in a simple line from left to right in the Freeform grid.  In the new sequence that was created the clips are still being reorganized by file name. I am using a default install of PP that is updated. Any chance this is a settings issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm ... try going to the standard Icon view, and set the sort order to 'User order', then switch to Freeform view. See if now on moving things, and selecting them, you can get them in order.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dylan,

I have also been in this state before. I expect the visual sort order in the bin should be the same order as the Timeline. Left to right. Top to bottom. Try this: Shift select them in the order you want them to be in the bin, and then overwrite them into the Timeline. This might be a slightly different technique than you'd expect. Premiere Pro is just different than other NLEs in a few unexpected ways. I think that's what is going on here. Does that work for you? 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin. The individual shift method worked. It would be awesome if I could just select all with a ctrl A but this is still a great work around that will save me a ton of time. Thanks again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you bro. I think I'll file a bug. Should be able to do this either way. 

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

put in order then select align to grid drag into timeline your select from bin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines