• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clips are sorted wrong in your bin when icon view is selected.

Enthusiast ,
Jul 28, 2017 Jul 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you switch your bin to icon view, the sort order is wrong.  It's not alphabetical, and it doesn't match the sort order in list view.

How many people have reported this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, a Web search turns up a lot of this question.  And eventually it turns out that there's an obscure icon at the bottom of the bin pane when in icon mode (next to the icon-size slider) that lets you change the sort order.

And "List View Sort" is one of the options.  But does Adobe default to that?  OH HELL NO, that would be sensible.

Instead, Adobe defaults to "User Order."  WTF is that, and why default to it?

Asinine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WTF is that, and why default to it?

That's what known as Storyboarding.  You arrange the clips in the order they'll be used in the sequence, which may have no relation at all to List view or file names.  This is the primary use of Icon view, so it makes sense as the default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's a pretty good answer.

Potentially a useful ability, but I definitely don't think it should be the default (and, given the number of people online with the same question, I'll wager I'm not alone).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 29, 2017 Jul 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's simple enough to change it.  And I guarantee that if it wasn't the default, you'd have editors frustrated as hell that their careful arrangement was ruined when switching back to List view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the default were to sort the same way as List view, editors wouldn't lose their arrangement because they wouldn't be able to make it in the first place.  They'd have to switch to manual arrangement (user sort), and then there'd be no problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way the icon view generaly works has been ever since PrPro1.

Over the years the icon view has improved a lot.

But it mains purpose is storyboarding.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the default were to sort the same way as List view, editors wouldn't lose their arrangement

Premiere Pro starts in icon view by default.  So if an editor were to make those careful arrangements, then switch to List view for sorting and finding, then switch back to Icon view defaulting to List view sort...Ugh!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

If the default were to sort the same way as List view, editors wouldn't lose their arrangement

Premiere Pro starts in icon view by default.  So if an editor were to make those careful arrangements

No. Again: If the default setting for icon view were "List View Sort," he wouldn't be able to "make those careful arrangements" in the icon view.  The default sorting mode wouldn't allow it.  He'd have to switch the icon view to "User Sort" before making his arrangement; after that, there'd be no problem when going to list view because the two would be disconnected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2017 Jul 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not make a feature request.

Feature Request/Bug Report Form

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2021 Mar 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every editor has their own way of finding their shots. Not all of us storyboard in our bin folder. For me I know where to find the shots I want because I know the order in which we shot. I am also the director of my shoots. 

So I change the icon view to go in that order. You may do it a different way and that works for you. 

No need to jump on people for organizing their files differently. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm an editor and it's frustrating clips aren't populating in the order I shot them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the easy solution is a simple option to choose your default sort order in either view. Just two menu options with drop down lists to select your default. I'm not a programmer but doesn't seem like it would be hard to do. I agree 100% that icon view defaulting to "User Order" is not useful. Personally I've never used it to "storyboard", I use it because it's by far the easiest way to do large edits when you can reference the first frame instead of clip name. Especially if you shoot with a slate and make sure cameras roll with the slate in view, wow is it incredibly efficient to look at script notes and see the slate numbers while editing. I'm sure though that there are plenty of people who do like to user sort and alienating either of them is dumb - and currently people like us are the ones being alienated.

A bigger issue I have though is that the sort order in Icon View doesn't work for me! The selection I make doesn't correlate to what actually happens. For example, if I choose "Name", "Icon" gets selected instead. Making it worse is that on some computers I've used, it works fine. I've submitted a bug report but curious if anyone else has encountered this issue and knows of a fix? Doing a full reformat soon so maybe starting from scratch will correct things...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2020 Mar 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

User Order is still on by default for me in Icon View. Storyboarding is not the primary use of Icon View for most people...I actually like to see a thumbnail of the clip I'm about to view in the source monitor or wherever. And now we have 'Freeform' view, so why do I have to switch the dropdown to List Sort each time I start a new project (several times a week, often forgetting) to get my work in alphabetical order? Insanity. I've already made a suggestion on the Adobe goof-ups list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines