Highlighted

Clips in timeline laggy on brand new Catalina iMac and Premiere 2020

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upfront, I state this is not one of the more serious lag issues like many lag complaints.

Just purchased new 27" iMac:

- Catalina 10.15.2

- Retina 5k 27" 2019

- 32GB  ram

- Radeon Pro 580x 8GB

- Running Adobe creative suite and editing with Premiere Pro 14.0.1 (2020)

I have my 2012 iMac sitting next to it with Premiere 2018.

When editing on the new machine, the timeline is slightly laggy, minor stuttering, doesn't move completely smoothly. Premiere timeline on the old mac moves like it's on rollers - smooth as butter and I can cut & move very fast. New setup just lags behind slightly and is midly (to keep perspective) frustrating.

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts or knowledge about this.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Clips in timeline laggy on brand new Catalina iMac and Premiere 2020

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upfront, I state this is not one of the more serious lag issues like many lag complaints.

Just purchased new 27" iMac:

- Catalina 10.15.2

- Retina 5k 27" 2019

- 32GB  ram

- Radeon Pro 580x 8GB

- Running Adobe creative suite and editing with Premiere Pro 14.0.1 (2020)

I have my 2012 iMac sitting next to it with Premiere 2018.

When editing on the new machine, the timeline is slightly laggy, minor stuttering, doesn't move completely smoothly. Premiere timeline on the old mac moves like it's on rollers - smooth as butter and I can cut & move very fast. New setup just lags behind slightly and is midly (to keep perspective) frustrating.

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts or knowledge about this.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Freeze or hang, User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Feb 04, 2020 0
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a very similar problem.

I bought iMac Pro, with 16gb gpu, xeon gpu, 64gb ram...etc .. almost for $8000

Working in timeline is very sluggish. Zooming timeline, moving clips...etc.. 

Editing on my 2014 macbook pro is much faster and whole editing is more smoother. (facepalm)

I've tried to reinstal premiere, downgrade premiere, upgrade premiere, reinstal mac os, downgrade/upgrade mac os..... nothing. problem is still here. 

I'm really pissed offf about it.

maybe its time to change my main editing software.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 26, 2020 0
Explorer ,
Oct 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here - Reported it to Adobe -  no real customer support - other than "delete your cache, reset workspaces, and grabbing at straws.   They really don't know what's going on.  I can't believe the product is not performing well on the latest H/W with decent specs, well within the S/W system requirements.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2020 0