• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clips on Timeline are Red?

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am trying the newest version of Premiere Pro CC 2019, and when I put clips on the timeline they are showing a red line, at the top where the ruler is. On Previous versions, these same clips show yellow. The clips playback ok, but should I be concerned about it showing red? This is just video clips, no effects at all. Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 29, 2018 Dec 29, 2018

For each situation, File -> Project Settings -> General and look at Renderer. CUDA or not? I wonder if it is not set for your old project and ok for the new one?

Things changed with 2019, and it may work with 2018 and not with 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The green, yellow and red lines are indicators of how well Premiere thinks/guesses it will be able to playback the video clip on the timeline.

From

Red, yellow, and green render bars and what they mean | Adobe Blog

Screen Shot 2018-12-29 at 7.42.22 AM.png

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it Red in only the Newest version? And still plays back full resolution? thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just check again today and they are yellow. Weird.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No idea, are you confident all the settings are all the same between the old version and the new (high quality playback toggled on, Mercury Transmit enabled, etc. etc. etc.)?

As explained in the Adobe link, the red and yellow lines are alerts, not warnings, and if you are happy with the playback you are getting - then edit away.

MtD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open one project the clips are red. when I open a test project then open the 1st project the same clips are yellow. HUHHH??? They are the same type of timelines, same type of clips,etc. just different projects. When I open 1st Project then test Project all project clips are red in both timelines. So what ever the first loaded clip has the second follows. What?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For each situation, File -> Project Settings -> General and look at Renderer. CUDA or not? I wonder if it is not set for your old project and ok for the new one?

Things changed with 2019, and it may work with 2018 and not with 2019.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were all new, created in the newest version 2019. For some reason the one that was showing red was software only. I don't know how it got that way but that's what it was. Checked other projects and they were ok. I have been a video editor for 22 years and I don't know how it changed. I am the only one on this pc. Thanks so much!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 30, 2018 Dec 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, odd the way the editing gremlins sneak in and out...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is Sep 2020 my version of the premiere is up to date, and this problem, still when called an Adobe's representer he said your mac book pro is old he meant the graphic card. My laptop is mid-2015. I think they want us to buy a new computer every 2 years. Thanks, Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not just Adobe if you want to keep up with the latest technology.

A 2015 computer is considered old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On laptops, yes, especially if the 2015 model laptop he got didn't come with much modern specs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you're cutting 1920-by-1080, most i5 or i7 laptops are up to the task as long as they have fast enough storage.  My 2009 MacBook Pro handles it just fine then and still does now for the few times I have to launch a Final Cut Pro classic project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just the curse of video editing, which combines the need for the highest performance specs with constantly advancing industry requirements. That equals having to replace expensive hardware more frequently than almost any other profession. That applies doubly to laptops since you usually can't upgrade enough of the internals to keep up.

If we were just writers, a laptop might last 10 years because the machine hardly has to do anything.

If we were photographers, a laptop might last 4-5 years as photography software advances with new tech.

But for video editing, more cores, more GPU, and more everything are always welcome as frame sizes, bit depths, codecs, and effects continue to be more and more demanding. Now we find that some of the new codecs in the latest cameras bog down even some of the latest computers, unless the hardware has the absolute latest codec support. You could think about switching from Premire Pro to the competition like DaVinci Resolve, but one website says for 4K you really should have 4GB of video memory to run Resolve well…and no Mac laptop made in 2015 has that much VRAM. Which ones do? The current ones.

If you want to edit video to a high standard using media from the latest cameras, keeping the hardware relatively new is part of the cost of doing business at that level. It can be done for less, if the goals and expectations are lowered proportionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines