• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clips remain choppy and laggy despite green bar

New Here ,
Jan 21, 2021 Jan 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried all the methods under the sun to try and get smooth footage. I have tried to edit some footage from my Lumix G7 but it remains laggy and stuttery no matter how many times i try and use media encoder or render the entire clip for it to only stay laggy.

Please help, i have not found a single person post aboutthis issue

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Formats , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that long-GOP media? And perhaps 4k? I don't know because you didn't tell us any details.

What is your render setting for sequence previews? These things all matter.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes its 4k footage. But i also have the same issue from 1080pHD footage from the same camera.

My sequence settings is at Standard48kHz but thats just what i let premiere start the project with as i thought it would chose the correct setting.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I imagine you are using a 10 bit varition of H.264/265 that would be hard to playback even on a 12 core CPU. The M1 Macs and A Bonic chip from Apple can playback those codecs. The new Intel chips for 2021 shoud also play those codec back but who knows for sure? The Apple chips have something like Intel's Quick Sync but better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep im just using standard H.264 footage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any system info, Timothy? We need that to help. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Intel I7-2600 CPU

16gb RAM

GT710 Graphics Card

not sure what else to add

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your system is old and out dated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardware specs is not the issue here, because ".. have the same issue from 1080pHD footage from the same camera." and  ".. or render the entire clip for it to only stay laggy." . But software is the issue, yes. We don't know what exactly though, Premiere Pro, drivers, or Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a ten year old 4-core CPU. With an also old, outdated, and non-usable GPU. Hardware is certainly at play here, as the newer builds of Premiere have had all the ancient-gear code removed for cleaning up the program/stability and such.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but "cleaned up" code should work better not worse, otherwise it's just marketing bs from adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Cleaned up" as in removed bits of ancient code used only for specific "antique" hardware is routinely removed from current versions across most any application. Trying to puzzle out how newer code in newer features works with 25 ancient bits gets past annoying to become a waste of time. It's a fact of life in computer coding. Across the user-base, those with newer machines tend to be doing better. And a certain percentage aren't. Pretty typical.

And as the code for older gear gets removed, that older gear will have more problems. Obviously. And that's what I was very specifically referring to. Kit that old will have to work with older versions of the program. The only really 'older' one available is 2019.

That's not marketing bs, it's a fact of life in the computer age. Pull out a ten-year old computer and try and run most any new app on it. Been there done that. Slow & buggy as Hades. And the OP is trying to do 4K media on a ten year old ancient kit with an also antiquated GPU that hasn't had a new driver in some time. Yes, ancient hardware is a limitation of its own.

I started with computers in our shop in around '87 or '88. A 286 machine, with a full megabyte of RAM! Yea, we paid extra to get more than the standard 684Kb or whatever it was. And we were ridiculed by our professional peers for wasting money on a 40 Megabyte drive. Who would ever fill up a massive 40Mb drive?

I don't know how many computers we've gone through over the years, we've had up to six desktops and five laptops going at any one time. And constantly going through and replacing the older ones. Typically I'd get a new "beast" and move my old rig down to the next most critical station. Dance of the computers through the shop. The oldest went buh-bye.

And at the moment, I'm working on getting setup in a brand new rig, replacing my 4-year old 6 core Intel rig with 32GB of RAM and a 1060/6Gb GPU with a 24 core Ryzen w 128Gb of RAM and a 2080Ti GPU. So I'm not working in Premiere today, I'm moving drives and power connections and all that joy. Which I HATE. But it has to be done.

Then the computer dance will continue as I repurpose my old rig here.

And I've got a drawer full of installation disks for all sorts of things ... dBase, QuckBooks, three different other database apps, a couple spreadsheet apps, a couple studio management apps, and others. Fascinating to look at the accumulation.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basil

FCPX, Resolve, Avid, Premiere Pro etc proably will not work well with old hardware or a ten year old operating system. Your system would work OK with Premiere Pro CS.5.5 and Windows Vista but this is 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 23, 2021 Jan 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andy 1968

My system? I'm not OP, lol. Here is proof why your point is wrong. I just tried Q6600 + 8GB from 2007 era in CC2020, and it's able to play without stutter 1080p60+1/2 (or 1080p30+full) in Software mode(!) And OP here has i7-2600(4c/8t) + 16GB and it stutters at 1080p with CUDA enabled. Funny huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basil,

I never said you were the OP but I will say you are very confused. The OP wants to edit 4K. He stated he tried playing back 1920X1080 and still had problems. His system is not a good system to edit 4K. That being said you may not be using the same codec. Even at 1920 X 1080 some of the 10 bit H.264/265 codecs are hard to playback. Keep in mind the OP's graphics card is not up to par for CUDA acceleration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andy 1968 

" Even at 1920 X 1080 some of the 10 bit H.264/265 codecs are hard to playback."  - I'm aware of that, but OP does not have any of those, Lumix G7 is old cam and it produces standard (not even Long GOP) 8-bit H264 

"Keep in mind the OP's graphics card is not up to par for CUDA acceleration." -  well, the gtx750(1GB) I tried with Q6600, is also not up to par, yet it works just fine for 1080. Yes, for 4K CUDA-acceleration won't work, but only because of 1Gb memory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basil

You are confused. You have a GTX 750. That is a lot more powerful than the OP's GT 710.

The GT 710 only has 192 CUDA cores. You proably have over 600 CUDA Cores. CUDA is needed for LUTs. The Lumix G7 might have something like Sony's S-log. The OP may be using luts. Luts will bog down any sysyem that does not have GPU acceleration. The bottom line is the OP's system is not designed to edit 4K. Everyone besides you is letting the OP know his system is not built for 4K. The CPU's IGPU cannot even make use of Intel's Quick Sync when using Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andy 1968 "The bottom line is the OP's system is not designed to edit 4K", I guess the OP is totally aware ot that. The problem is that it stutters even on a 1080 timeline, even after render in to out. That's the actual problem, not 4K.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Basil,

Then my Haswell System with a GTX 650 Ti has a problem.  If I dissable CUDA acceleration and apply a LUT my Haswell system will stutter with 1920 X 1080P. My i9 9900K with an RTX 2070 will do the same thing. With no effects applied both system can play it back. With CUDA enabled both systems can play it back. I stated the OP might be using a LUT. The OP's GT 710 does not have enough CUDA cores for LUTS. Your GTX 750 does. My GTX650 Ti did as well but my GT 240 would not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@basil1891  OP system does not have MPE hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines