• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Clueless About Getting Started with Premiere Pro?

Advocate ,
Dec 25, 2017 Dec 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's to be expected. Premiere Pro has the editing muscularity to cut and polish the next Oscar winning feature film. But it's also the go-to toolbox for Adobe Creative Cloud subscribers, who work in all things multimedia. So, no film school degree is required use this powerful Adobe app.

So, first, if your new best friend on the planet Christmas gifted you with an Adobe CC subscription, to get your filmmaking passions up to a professional level, what's the first thing you should do?

Probably, just breathe. Don't let the gift you have been wanting forever overwhelm you. We work with all 15 of the core CC desktop apps. We have been major fans of some of those apps even before they were publicly released as 1.0. versions. And, to be honest, the power of that suite of apps are near impossible to fully master. So, planning on feeling a little CC-overwhelmed every day, even if you become a renown Creative Cloud expert, is normal.

Next, start small. Here's a cool little Premiere Pro tutorial package, by Maxim Jago, whose Adobe quick start page assumes that you know absolutely nothing about this powerful video editing app. Maxim’s first video, on this page, is less that 4-½ minutes. And, when its over we hope you agree that it's a great place for you to get your, "I can do this!" revved up, for the start of an award-winning film career: https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/create-project-import-media.html?playlist=/ccx/v1/collec...

From there, Maxim’s succinct starter videos, also featured on the same page, and all for free, will teach you enough to get you to a comfort level which we hope will blow away any unfounded CC intimidation.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestions, Brian ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 26, 2017 Dec 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Neil. We have posted that link elsewhere, and, collectively, it's getting a good response. Janet & I have a few other getting started ideas we have been saving up for this time of year.

Back when we would do three tutorials a week, between Christmas and New Years was always a high traffic week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a complete list of what Maxim put in this series:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/create-project-import-media.html?playlist=/ccx/v1/collec...

1. Create a project (4:24)
  2. Workspace overview (3:39)
  3. Import media (5:00)
  4. Build a sequence (4:56)
  5. Work with the Project panel (3:24)
  6. Source and Program monitors (4:14)
  7. Explore the Timeline panel (4:09)
  8. Create a new sequence (4:42)
  9. Add clips to a sequence (2:46)
  10. Remove clips from a sequence (3:31)
  11. Move clips in a sequence (4:40)
  12. Make simple audio adjustments (4:00)
  13. Work with image files (4:00)
  14. Create a new title (4:31)
  15. Change the size of clips (4:07)
  16. Trim clips on the Timeline (5:28)
  17. Trim clips in the Program Monitor (3:06)
  18. Use Sync Locks and Track Locks (2:08)
  19. Learn basic correction options (3:53)
  20. Apply a Look to your clips (2:45)
  21. Make creative adjustments (4:09)
  22. Using color wheels (3:35)
  23. Add transition effects (4:34)
  24. Add visual effects (4:08)
  25. Stabilize a clip (2:37)
  26. Create effect presets (3:58)
  27. Record a voice-over (4:36)
  28. Adjust volume over time (4:28)
  29. Sweeten the sound (4:42)
  30. Understand frame rates and audio channels (5:17)
  31. Change clip playback speed (4:43)
  32. Set audio level for multiple clips (3:47)
  33. Export a video file (3:53)
  34. Share on social media (2:48)

This is the link (which has a deceptive name) to all 34 videos:

Create a project and import a clip |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brian–Very helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

trshaner  wrote

Thanks Brian–Very helpful!

You are quite welcome.

When Janet & I cannot find an answer to an Adobe question, we go to the Help PDF book and do an Acrobat search. If it's not there, we do an Internet search.

We wanted Premiere Pro beginners to have this list. That way they don't have to search all over the place for the topics in Maxim's package and if others do an Internet search, hopefully this will appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro is a deep and complex program with many non-obvious gotchas due to processing order and other things. Just because you can do something in a certain order this time doesn't mean it will still do the same next time or especially if you add X effect to the chain.

There is, in so many of these cases, absolutely nothing in ANY Adobe information giving a clue what the issue could be when users hit the many walls of despair built into this ... process.

Max has very good instructions especially in his knowledge of order of steps although this isn't always obviously important. But it's there.

Jarle Leirpoll's ebook "The Cool Stuff in Premiere Pro" sounds like a puff piece, but it's 500 pages of detailed info with an awesomely detailed Contents listing ... and constantly covers the all important working order and gotchas all through the app. I told Mr. Palmer that Adobe should just buy the book from him and call it the PrPro Manual.

All this to point out that efforts like your's and Janet's are SO necessary as Adobe in general makes no real manual for any app.

BlackMagic's several hundred page time that comes with the FREE version of Resolve shows what should be done.

But ... thank you for your efforts for the users!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/R+Neil+Haugen  wrote

Premiere Pro is a deep and complex program with many non-obvious gotchas due to processing order and other things.

Circa 2014-15, Janet & I accepted the challenge of creating a series of 100 level college courses which would appeal to business people who have basic digital video audio needs. Of course, we focused on Prelude, Premiere Pro, Audition, and Media Encoder for the postproduction side of the equation.

A big chuck of the equation is to distill the power of the Pr, Au, and ME into digestible bite-sized chunks for that audience.

It's doable. It's a very real market for these apps. And, addressing the needs of that vertical market is something we feel qualified to say Maxim did well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brian+Stoppee  wrote

Here's a complete list of what Maxim put in this series:

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/how-to/create-project-import-media.html?playlist=/ccx /v1/colle...

1.  Create a project (4:24)

---------

34.  Share on social media (2:48)

This is the link (which has a deceptive name) to all 34 videos:

Create a project and import a clip |

I think I am the target here!  (Except that I'm not getting revved up for a career.)  I'm pretty good with Premiere Elements but have recently acquired access to Premiere Pro.  I want to learn it, mostly for the joy of learning something new.

Brian,  your list of 34 videos is good.  Great in fact!  Your links all go to the same page for me.  How do I, for example, find #14 for titles?

FWIW, In Premiere Pro itself, on the Help menu there is a link to Tutorials that arrives at a different page but the first video for begginners is  your #1 "Create a project".  

Thanks

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

whsprague  wrote

Brian,  your list of 34 videos is good.  Great in fact!  Your links all go to the same page for me.  How do I, for example, find #14 for titles?

Thank you, Bill-

This is an excellent question. When Janet & I first saw this series we figured it must be a one page thing. There's no other site/series navigation which jumps out at you.

The link should take you to the first set of videos. As you scroll down, you'll see there's a link to the next set of videos, and that page to yet another.

That's the way all 6 of the first batch of CC Get Started packages work.

On a few of them, when you get to the back end, it loops you back to some previous content. So, if you browse them you might think, "There are hundred of these things." But, use the complete list that Janet & I provided. Work through them one-by-one, and you'll be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines