• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Codecs to support captured HDV files in latest Premiere Pro CC2019/2020 - AVI format

Enthusiast ,
Jan 10, 2020 Jan 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have some HDV footage captured from Tapes on my old Sony Camcorder that have been sitting on my hard disks a long time. I think these may have been captured with a Matrox RTX 100 card via Firewire some years back, but they are all intact.

Trouble is in Premiere Pro 2019 today all I get is the audio - which means the Video codec is missing.

They are AVI format but Media Player doesn't recognise them. Can anyone help as to how I get hold of the right codecs to install. Have looked on the web etc but nothing supports it.

TOPICS
How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Apologies - I'm a bit late with a follow up on this - but just to complete this thread to say I have found that Premiere 14.4 and all latest Windows 10 updates / Graphics drivers updates allow these files to run.

I have not loaded the Matrox Codecs yet on my main i9 edit machine and tested this out over the weekend to see what happened and it was successful.

I have a mixture of older DV and HDV capture files, some that are MPEG and some AVI as per my original thread.

I have a Back up i7 based machi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JonesVid,

Sorry about this. Run the files through Media Info, go to Tree View, then paste a screenshot here in the forum. We can then evaluate what you might need to do. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the link to MediaInfo:

https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to install this: Matrox VFW Software Codecs

The Matrox Video for Windows (VFW) software codecs let you render and

play back Matrox .avi files in your VFW programs without having

Matrox video hardware installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi and many thanks to all your fast responses.

Just downloaded the VFW Matrox Codecs (latest seems to be 6122?) so hope they are Windows 10 64 bit friendly as they are quite old now.

Thanks also for the MediaInfo link. I'll set things up later and post a couple of screen shots, but I am hopeful the VFW Matrox stuff will help sort it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had captured using the Matrox MXO2 Mini --  I am getting ready to transfer an important project from 6 years ago to my new system. I am about to go through the same thing as you.  How did your situation work out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies - I'm a bit late with a follow up on this - but just to complete this thread to say I have found that Premiere 14.4 and all latest Windows 10 updates / Graphics drivers updates allow these files to run.

I have not loaded the Matrox Codecs yet on my main i9 edit machine and tested this out over the weekend to see what happened and it was successful.

I have a mixture of older DV and HDV capture files, some that are MPEG and some AVI as per my original thread.

I have a Back up i7 based machine on which I did load the VFW codecs some time back  (thank you Averdahl for link) and this also solved the problem !.

As for my main machine ...well somewhere along the line it has got the right Codecs to run this old stuff, so I don't need to download the Matrox codecs it seems ?.

Anyway I can now edit my trip to New York in 2008 in HDV 1440i from the old Sony A1 plus other historical treasures !.

Conclusion - you may or not need Matrox VFW Codecs - but you have a solution with that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines