• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color artifacts in Premiere OpenCL Radeon RX 5700

Explorer ,
Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This seems to be a common issue that pops up every once in a while. I'm running Premiere Pro 2020.

I have a newly installed Radeon RX 5700 and I get weird color artifacts during playback with Open CL. I notice that they come up in deep blacks and highlights. So, pretty much anything that is clipped.

Here's a sample.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

This happens with GoPro 7 Black files, jpegs files that are dropped into the timeline, but not M6 2 files. It doesn't make a difference if the files have processing or not. I tried a new project with M6 2, GoPro, and jpeg files and experienced the same issue.

Rendering with AME has some artifacts, but less than the playback in Premiere Pro. Rendering from Premiere Pro is fine since it uses software rendering.

I've used several different AMD video drivers and they all have the same issues. 

My software performance is abysmal and I only get 1 frame every couple of seconds and when I a jpeg with text plays it takes about 5 seconds to switch to and from a single frame of the clip. Premiere is unusable when using software only. I have a Ryzen 1700 now and a 3900x coming on Monday but I don't see how that's going to help much. Plus, using software defeats the purpose of the RX 5700.

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 29, 2019 Dec 29, 2019

Never mind. I found something that helped. My jpegs still have issues but my GoPro footage is fine. I don't need to color grade the jpegs, only the video, so I can live with that for now. I bet if I used another image format it'd be fine but I'm not going to bother. I don't mind doing software exports for now since these are smaller < 5 minute clips and the 3900x should help.

I found this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/quot-why-does-my-footage-look-darker-in-premiere-quot-color-q-a/td-p/4788414

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add to my own post since there's likely no fix for this other than waiting for Adobe to relase the next version of Premiere.

Everything works perfectly fine on Premiere 2019. I installed it this morning and I couldn't replicate this issue. Even though many will say that this is a video driver issue, if it indeed was a driver issue, Premiere 2019 would have the same problem.

I am going to suck it up and either disable software acceleration or use my Surface Book since its 4 threads with GPU acceleration work better than my desktop with 16 threads and no GPU acceleration.

For what it's worth, I also tried changing my sequence settings, deleting the scratch disk files, changing other project settings, frame rate, updating motherboard bios, changing video card bios (yes, bios, not just drivers), changing Windows 10 scaling, using single monitor instead of dual monitors, doing a clean installation of video drivers. I'm also going to do a fresh install of Windows and Premiere on a different SSD to see if it helps.

I'll update this thread mainly so that others don't waste their time troubleshooting this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind. I found something that helped. My jpegs still have issues but my GoPro footage is fine. I don't need to color grade the jpegs, only the video, so I can live with that for now. I bet if I used another image format it'd be fine but I'm not going to bother. I don't mind doing software exports for now since these are smaller < 5 minute clips and the 3900x should help.

I found this post:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/quot-why-does-my-footage-look-darker-in-premiere-quot-co... 

That's checked by default on Premiere for me. I unchecked the box. My curve didn't change, but the issue I had is now partially gone.

Being a stubborn IT person helps. It also wastes a lot of time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final post for anyone that stumbles through this.

A clean Windows 10 reinstall with the most recent video drivers and Premiere Pro 2020 didn't help. I experienced the same behavior.

As a workaround, TIFF files display fine. PNG and JPEG files have the same artifacts. I tried both ARGB and SRGB in case it was a color space issue. I suspect it has to do with the way the files are decoded but digging any deeper is beyond me and I don't care to at this point. I have original PSD's and making TIFF's isn't that big of a deal since these are new projects anyway. I only have to replace under 30 images on a couple of timelines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info! I was going crazy researching this and about to do a clean reinstall of my whole PC, being having this issue for the last 10 days, searching for every tip  available on the internet, no help so far. OpenCL does not work on Premiere Pro 2020 with Radeon RX 580 no matter what driver version I use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, I was experiencing the exact same thing with any edited RAW photo that was exported to JPG.

I shoot in RAW on a Sony. Export it from Lightroom into a JPEG, and then when imported into Premiere, get the weird discoloration. Tried PNG asd well. If I shoot in JPG, and import it into Premiere, I don't have this problem, so it has to do with the changes to the file when exporting.

But exporting now as a TIFF has solved the issue for me. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to update that this is still an issue as of August 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 30, 2020 Sep 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi did you manage to get your RX580 with OpenCL running in the end? Do you know if there is a fix for this yet?

Going Crazy here and would welcome your experience.

Many thanks,

Luke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 18, 2020 Jan 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue for me. I have the 5700 XT and the same artifacts. 😞
This is a real Bummer. Please fix this Adobe...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same thing with my 5700xt and premiere 2020! adobe find us a fix!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2020 Jan 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone with this issue, go to the UserVoice site and search for other users with similar problems. Upvote the post, and then come back here and post the link so others can go vote.

Adobe lives by metrics. Give them some.

Neil 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

90504573_2670312223077754_2339442267787362304_o.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here RX 5700XT also with Radeon Pro Enterprise drivers 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here:

Turning off GPU acceleration and going for software rendering removes the aliasing. So far I've only seen this behavior on a JPG image sequence as well. My HD footage from other sources is just fine.

I just built a Ryzen 3900x system with a 5700xt as the graphics card.

JPGs look fine in both lightroom and preview. They were exported from lightroom in my case... which is an adobe program which you would think would provide greater support in terms of decoding.

I have had no issues with the 5700xt in other regards, other than perhaps running HDR native in windows (it looks genuinely awful).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 28, 2020 Apr 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to mention, I rendered the video just to see if it was preview issue only, and it's definitely not. It persists into the render.

Mind boggling, especially given that I rendered the video with no GPU acceleration in Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 29, 2020 Apr 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting jpg to psd works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having this EXACT issue, the artifacting is identical, and persists once the file is rendered. Changing to software rendering for the export works, but you don't buy a beefy graphics card to do software rendering. I also have the 5700xt. Photo attached of the glitch.adobe glitch.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, please fix this Adobe. I don't want to replace images or render with MPE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

September 2020. Still an issue. 

I have a Ryzen 3900X and a RX5700 XT. Only way I found is to downgrade to Premiere 13 (2019) or use images without an icc color profile embedded. 

Annoying 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE: Adobe says the rx5700 is not on the recommended graphic cards, then it is not their problem. And this error maybe is never fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't receive any notifications to this so I had no idea anyone had stumbled upon this, but I'm glad it helped some people.

Just to reaffirm, this is probably not going to be fixed ever. I can confirm the issue persists with the current Premiere Pro version, which is 14.5.0 Build 51.

Since I found this fix, I've kept "display color management" turned off in General settings.

I have adjusted my workflow and I only use TIFFs now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue was finally fixed sometime in the first quarter of 2021. Jpegs no longer artifact. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 06, 2021 Apr 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update! I just ended up returning the 5700XT and getting a 2070 Super, and then an RTX 3070. It's insane to me that it took so long to fix this issue though, I guess AMD cards aren't on the top of their list of bug priorities. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2021 Apr 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would get a different card also if it wasn't so difficult to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines