• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color change through dynamic link from premiere pro to after effects using mavic 2 pro 10 bit h.265

New Here ,
Sep 14, 2020 Sep 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I shoot with a Sony a7riii and I also use a mavic 2 pro which I often mix in the same premiere pro timeline. With the a7riii it shoots in 8 bit and with the mavic 2 I shoot with h.265 10 bit. When I use dynamic link with mavic 2 from premiere pro to after effects the color of my clip changes and cause some banding. At first I thought it was my color profile in after effects but I found out it’s something to do with using both 8 bit h.264 and 10 bit h.265. When I use dynamic link with the a7riii the colors remain the same but with the mavic 2 the colors change a bit. Any idea on how to fix this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I have exactly the same problem.

I have 10bit content in PP and there is no banding.

When I import the video in AE via dynamic link there is color banding.

I've set the colors to 16 and 32 bit in AE. But it changes nothing. 

When I bring the footage back to PP after not doing anything with it in AE it also shows the banding in PP.

It seems like AE is converting the nice 10bit material to 8bit.

This is a huge problem if you work professionally. 

Where is the help? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2021 Jan 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is likely that you don't have the color management settings in Ae set correctly. They should be set for Rec.709/gamma 2.4, sRGB. What are yours?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil, 

thank you for your answer.

I've recorded a little video to help to explain my problem:

https://youtu.be/gTRfPiMjlIk

It happens with all my footage. Also when I don't use the dynamic link. 

I switched between 8,16 and 32 bit, but when I switched, the image didn't change at all. This I also find a bit weird. 

Maybe you can help me.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncheck "composite in linear color" in both Pr & Ae. See if that helps.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

thank you for answering. 

Unfortunately, it didn't help.

I now realized that it is not a dynamic link issue. It is a AE isuue.

AE cant handle the 10bit 4.2.0 file from my fuji xt-4 camera. It looks like crushed 8bit files in AE. It doesn't matter if I put AE in 8,16, or 32 bit. The image doesn't change at all. 

Ive tried the dynamic link with footage of my old Sony a7iii camera. It's only 8bit and it worked without any problem. The image is the same in PR and in AE. 

--> what settings can I change in AE?

The problem is, that if I even only want to add a tiny little text animation on my footage I will lose the 10bit color gradient and my footage looks broken. This is not an option for me and I don't think that Adobe has no solution for this.

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think there's a good chance you're missing something in the Ae color management or other preferences. I'd suggest going onto the Ae forum, as the folks there should be able to sort this out immediately.

There's a clickable link near the top on the right side of this forum.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines