Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Color Grading

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

So I did a shoot for a friend and they wanted me to isolate the color of the sand in order to make it appear more brownish-orange than it currently is. It appears dryer and more like beach sand. Closer to white. Is it possible for me to highlight just the sand to isolate that color and turn the sand brown rather than trying to do it through highlights, mid tones, or shadows? If I do it that way I end up making the sky orange and the grade overall looks weird. In addition the sky is also sort of hazy where I'm filming. Not blown out from overexposure the day was just not great light. Can I do the same sort of thing and try and make the sky a bit more blue? Thanks guys!

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at HSL secondary in Lumetri.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are two ways in Lumetri.

The one that Ann mentions uses the HSL Secondary tab of Lumetri. Select the sand with the eyedropper, turn on the mask feature (I normally use color/gray) so you can see what's been selected by the eyedropper to change. Then adjust the Hue, Saturation, and Luma sliders to get all of the sand and as little other of the image as possible. You can do this in a separate layer of Lumetri btw, and in the Effects Control Panel (ECP) use the mask available for that Lumetri instance to limit the effect to the area of sand.

Once you have a good key, add a bit of blurriness and noise reduction with the sliders for those. Turn off the mask visibility.

Then use the controls in the bottom half of the HSL tab to make the changes you need.

There is another way, and that involves the HSL curves in the Lumetri Curves tab. Use the Hue vs Hue curve panel, and of course start by selecting a spot with the eyedropper. Adjust the points on the line as needed to control that sand area, and from a control point in the middle of the selected area, move that control point up or down towards the color you need. You can use the Hue v Luma curve to change brighness.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you so much that was perfect!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines