Highlighted

Color shift when exporting to ProRes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issues where when I export a timeline as h264 (Youtube 1080p Full HD preset) the colors look the same as when viewing in my timeline. However, when I export as ProRes 422, the colors change. Skin tones become redder and shinier.

Topics

Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Color shift when exporting to ProRes

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having an issues where when I export a timeline as h264 (Youtube 1080p Full HD preset) the colors look the same as when viewing in my timeline. However, when I export as ProRes 422, the colors change. Skin tones become redder and shinier.

Topics

Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi doitinpost,

Sorry about the poor experience. Have you tried previewing the exported ProRes media in Premiere Pro and checked if you are getting a correct preview? Also, please attach a screenshot of the Export Settings and of the difference that you are getting between the previews.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may just be an issue with how colors are rendered on my machine during playback outside of Premiere?

I'm exporting using the ProRes 422 preset - not changing any settings. The export preview matches my timeline when viewed in the Premiere export window, but when I watch the file back in VLC player after export, I see the color shift.

However, if I bring that exported 422 file back into Premiere, the colors match my timeline again when viewed from within Premiere.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere is then working correctly. It can't change the color management within your machine however, and that would be down to the differences in how your machine is treating those formats.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, that's what I was beginning to suspect. I'm curious to look into how my machine displays it more. I'm curious as the why ProRes is interpretted so differently than other settings I've tried. I wonder if it's the codec or the mov container. MXF files match my timeline, for instance.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're on a Mac, it is due to the way ColorSync works. On PCs ... can be various things.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines