Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Combining Keyboard Shortcuts into One

New Here ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I can do what I need without using the mouse. It's the same steps, with a break where I have to rename a Sequence, then I begin again, rinse, repeat. I'm editing on a Mac.

What I type is within the [] below. Here we go:

Step 1: copy my template sequence to the clipboard

Step 2: Initialize - In Project panel, select all the clips I'll be processing, [Shift+o] to open in Source Panel.

Step 3: [Shift+2] to move to first clip

Step 4: [Shift+1] Move back to Project Panel

Step 5: [Command+v] paste sequence

Step 6: [custom keyboard shortcut Option+t] Open Sequence in Timeline Panel

Step 7: [Shift+2] Move to Source Panel

Step 8: [,] Insert edit [my default moves focus to new Timeline Panel}

Step 9: [\] scale Timeline to view entire sequence in Timeline Panel

Step 10: [2.0.0] move to frame at 00:02:00;00

Step 11: [Shift+2] Move to Source Panel

Click and rename sequence

Start over at Step 4.

So basically I want to combine Steps 4-11 into one keystroke. I'm looking at Keyboard Maestro but I thought I'd seek help here first.

Thanks for reading this far. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Editing , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PrPro doesn't natively allow for "macros", which is what this type of thing is called. So one finds another tool to do it.

"We" all use different things for that. I've got a Razer Orbweaver Chroma that I picked up used on ebary for around $70 bucks. It works ok but at times I get frustrated because it 'loses' the mapping from the device even though their mapping app shows it still set correctly. There are a ton of gaming controllers with layers of buttons you can set. The Logitech G13 is another I've heard of used in video.

There are even gaming mice with say ten programmable buttons that you can put macros on.

There are the Keyboard Maestro you're talking about. LoupeDeck rigs can take macros.The X-Keys boxes.

The Elgato StreamDeck is a big hit with all my colorist friends, some have four, two small ones in front on each side of their colorist control surface and two bigger ones in back. These are more expensive, but ... you can create a lighted 'icon' for every button so you know what you're hitting while you're building muscle memory.

Choices abounding.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Neil.

I found a Contour Design ShuttleXpress and it supports macros, so I'll start with that. I also found an app called Macro Recorder and I may give that a try because there's a massive amount of video my team of 3 and I have to process this way, and if I can use macros without a specific hardware requirement, all the better.

I'm always looking for a more efficient use of my time and I appreciate your help. I'd never have thought of using a gaming mouse, and that reminded me of the ShuttleXpress, so thank you.

On a side note, 35 years ago I wrote Lotus 123 macros for the head of finance of a book publisher you've heard of. I've had to reinvent myself about every 7 years since then, always keeping up with digital video, eventually moving into the business when the technology became viable/viewable. I think people with video editing skills will always have a job.

Chuck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-inventing ... something we have to do over and over and over ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quick update: it's working great. The team likes it. Now I have to find a way to share it so the other editors can use it. Don't know if we will buy more ShuttleXs. Maybe more uses will come to mind necessitating another solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines