• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Compressed video with LOSSLESS audio?

Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to export a video that i need to keep the file size small, but want to retain the audio quality. What export option best meets this critera?

Is there some kinda M4P with flac or wav?

Thanks

TOPICS
Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Export dialog, go down to the settings below the Summary panel, click on the Audio tab, and you can select the audio format you want there. On many of the formats you can export video into, there are lossless audio options available.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate the fast reply, but the options in the audio tab vary depending upon the "format" like h.264

I dont know which format that will allow small video size (compressed), with lossless (uncompressed) audio?

A format that is comptible with most players please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

how will the video be distributed?  compressed audio doesn't always mean loss in AUDIBLE quality...  just like compressed video can look great.    Where high quality compressed audio can have an impact (just like compressed video) is if you need to do additional processing to it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its going in a video card broucher, im hoping we can find a format that works in the card and retains the best possible audio.

the audio track has been mastered by Abbey Road studios, so i really would prefer to avoid software compression messing up their great work. But if i must, which do fomat/codec do you suggest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when you say a "video card broucher" can you be a little more specific?  How will the file be played?   I'm all for ekeing out the best possible quality, but unless people will be able to play it on a high end system, it just probably won't make any difference.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and as far as I can tell, most compressed (mpeg) video formats like h264 also require audio compression.    DVD video is one of the few formats that allows for uncompressed aiff audio but the video is limited to standard def and not sure how universal the format would be...   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they open a card and a video plays with sound.

The card supports mp3 and wav (i havent tried flac)

is there no format that does what i would like?

if i have to compress, what is the best option. ACC with highest bit rate? mp3?

about-slider-1.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is the video actually in synch with the audio?  If so, the audio can't be mp3 or wav as far as I know.  If video and audio are triggered at the same time, it might be close.   But this card will have a tiny speaker and the quality will not be great, no matter what you do...  unless I'm missing something.  Actually in that sort of situation, high quality audio may not be the best way to go.  Back in the day when we were finishing for vhs distribution, we would try and play back the finished piece on lousy speakers cause that's what most people would be using.  I once had to provide an audio file for some sort of similar card (without video). the audio quality sucked...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry i wasnt clear, the card can play those audio formats, OR video like mp4 (i dont know all the formats its supports yet, but it didnt like h.265).

The card has only 480mb space,  and video is too large if uncompressed, but wav is only 25mb. Was hoping there was something that would compress video but just leave the audio. Seems like their isnt...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but if it's only playing audio on the built in speaker, it's not gonna be great.  and as I said, higher quality may actually not sound as good on the built in speaker.  Kudos for pushing for the best listening experience possible, but I've been around this block a few times and you may just be spinning your wheels.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Say for H.264, going down below in the Audio tab, it's all AAC. But ... you have options to set the frequency, higher tends to be better Q audio. Also you can set the audio bitrate, and again, higher tends to be better. At 48,000Hz, with audio quality "High" and bitrate of 320Kbps, you'll not have any possible notable degradation.

You'll have a large export of course.

You can easily test yourself, but doing several exports with different settings. Can you upload/distribute your export as the project will be, and hear any change on a good-quality audio system? If not, well ... that's fine then.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah i think my best option is just going to be h.264 + ACC with highest bit rate. Just tested and sounds acceptiable.

Thanks also to @Michael Grenadier 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's actually well above most music CD settings, btw. Yea, it shouldn't be noticeable.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone the finds this thread in the future, I have found using another program (vegas pro + happy otter scripts) i could render to MKV h.264 with FLAC for lossless audio codec. This created a very small file of only 21mb compared to the 1gb file i was getting before. Surprisingly the card supported MKV. As for the audio result, FLAC vs high bit ACC is almost indistinguishable. The trebbile is perhaps minutely different.

Unfortunately at this time Premier Pro doesnt seem to support exporting to MKV as far as i can see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 17, 2021 Feb 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, Adobe apps do not support Matroska. It's a fine codec but used more in a "niche" of the total video, and for some reason the managers don't find it worthwhile to support it.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines